Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182626 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #810 on: March 19, 2017, 06:39:06 pm »
Drink it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #811 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »
I agree with MDixon here

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #812 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:33 am »
Has anyone tried the Jameson Caskmates? I'm very interested to try a whiskey aged in beer barrels (rather than the other way around).  I'm sure any changes are subtle, but it's only 30$ a 1/5th here in Oregon so I figure it's worth a shot. 

I don't like scotch (or haven't found one yet I like) and American whiskey is hit or miss for me, most of the really nice stuff is also really expensive, but I've discovered I like Irish Whiskey.  The blending I feel makes it smoother and I think it tends to be a little sweeter.  One of my favorites is the Bushmills 16 yr, but that's spendy.  Had some Tullamore DEW 12 yr last weekend that was quite nice.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #813 on: March 20, 2017, 06:16:58 am »
I didn't care much for the Jameson I had from from the stout cask, but you might not have the same experience. It's been quite some time, but I remember I enjoyed the Bourbon and Scotch I had that night much, much more.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #814 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:42 pm »
Drink it.
Consider it done. Thanks, I figured it to be too "top Shelf" for an additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #815 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:01 am »
I like it with a cube, but I've been drinking most everything neat lately so I might have to buy a fifth and see how I prefer it now.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #816 on: March 23, 2017, 07:46:53 pm »
Finishing off a fifth of West Cork Irish Whiskey Bourbon Cask tonight. Much less sweet neat as compared to 2 Gingers. Was a bit fusel when first opened, kinda grew on me over time, but rather boring all things considered. Not bad by any means, but missing the expected Bourbon character other than an oak presence. At $22, worth trying if you decided to give it a whirl.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #817 on: March 25, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
Finishing up a bottle of Medley Private Stock 10 Year Bourbon. Turns out this one was rare and I didn't even know it. Only sold in 20 markets and 1,000 cases. It is a Medley/Frank-Lin creation and despite not being but 90 proof came off as a bit hot without a cube. It had a cedar aromatic neat which blossomed into rye and brown sugar with a cube. If memory serves it was a 60 beans and at 40 it would be a no brainer, but at 60 it only commands the price because it's a bit rare.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #818 on: March 26, 2017, 12:56:47 pm »
Was at McMenamins Edgefield this weekend for a friends weddings and they tend to have a very nice whiskey selection, including the ones they make.

McMenamins Hogshead is my favorite of the ones they make, I presume it's an american whiskey/bourbon style.  They just released on St Patty's day their limited release Devils Bit, which is an irish style whiskey which is also really good, but sadly only comes in small 200ml bottles.  But it's small batch limited release, so I can understand that. 

The others I got to try were a few that I've seen on Whiskey posts on Instagram and other locations.  One was Elmer T Lee, which was decent for a cheaper bourbon, ended up adding a couple ice cubes to that. 

Then I tried the Suntory Toki.  Very light in color, but super smooth.  Drank that one neat.

The last one I tried was the Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch.  That one was for sure the best of the bunch.  Super oaky and vanilla heavy.  I wanted just a drop of water in that one, so I ended up dunking an ice cube into and then pulling it back out.  Opened it up really nice. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #819 on: March 26, 2017, 03:38:48 pm »
E.H Taylor Small Batch is my go to, difficult to find so I hoard it, currently 3 bottles at the house. It retails around $40. Elmer T. Lee is also very difficult to snag so if you see it, buy all they will let you get. The last time I was able to get two bottles and still have one. I believe they were $36 ea. Toki is very nice. In NC it is $30, but everywhere else it goes higher, I saw it for much higher in CA.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #820 on: March 27, 2017, 05:54:51 am »
E.H Taylor Small Batch is my go to, difficult to find so I hoard it, currently 3 bottles at the house. It retails around $40. Elmer T. Lee is also very difficult to snag so if you see it, buy all they will let you get. The last time I was able to get two bottles and still have one. I believe they were $36 ea. Toki is very nice. In NC it is $30, but everywhere else it goes higher, I saw it for much higher in CA.

Yeah I did some googling and the prices didn't look bad at all.  I love that the OLCC here in Oregon publishes their price lists, so I can just look something up anytime I want.  The Toki here is 40$.  The other two aren't listed, so I guess the bar is the only place to get those.  They weren't too bad at 8-10$ a pour, but bottles will always be cheaper.

Another thing I noticed as I started looking things up (and it makes sense from a distribution standpoint) was that McMenamins had essentially the entire Buffalo Trace portfolio.  They had BT, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Elmer T Lee, Stagg Jr and I think even a couple of the bottom shelf ones like Ancient Age, which are all Buffalo Trace labels.

I had had a bottle of the Eagle Rare before, and I knew Buffalo Trace was the same company, so another time I went to a different McM's I got a pour of the Buffalo Trace and it was really nice.  Paired nicely with a cigar.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #821 on: March 27, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »
It's been several years but I have had a really nice bourbon that McMenamins made as well as an excellent gin.  Sitting at an outside bar by the fire in Bend may have enhanced the experience.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #822 on: March 27, 2017, 06:11:25 pm »
It's been several years but I have had a really nice bourbon that McMenamins made as well as an excellent gin.  Sitting at an outside bar by the fire in Bend may have enhanced the experience.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #823 on: April 01, 2017, 07:46:28 pm »
A fun prank serve scotch fans Kessler and wait for them to explain what they are tasting...

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #824 on: April 15, 2017, 08:47:51 am »
McClelland's Highland Single Malt was only $22, but it is a pass. Too harsh and alcoholic for my tastes and too much cedar and oak character. Water didn't temper it, the only thing which did was having a few IPAs before a glass of it.