Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180525 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #870 on: October 09, 2017, 11:00:31 am »
Finished off the Kirkland Signature Aged 16 Years Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky Aged in Bourbon Casks this weekend. IIRC it rang in at about $48 and while it was tasty, it was not complex enough to keep me interested. I'd much rather have a Monkey Shoulder at a sub $30 price tag, or a handle of their 12 year blended for $38 with more than double the volume.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #871 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »
Finished off the Kirkland Signature Aged 16 Years Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky Aged in Bourbon Casks this weekend. IIRC it rang in at about $48 and while it was tasty, it was not complex enough to keep me interested. I'd much rather have a Monkey Shoulder at a sub $30 price tag, or a handle of their 12 year blended for $38 with more than double the volume.

I've been interested to try some of the Kirkland stuff.  It looked pretty interesting.  Costco here in Oregon doesn't sell hard liquor, but just across the river in Washington they do.  They had a bottle of some ridiculous single malt (30 year?) in a glass case for 300+ dollars.  Thankfully the other stuff wasn't as spendy.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #872 on: October 09, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »
Finishing up a fifth of The Macallan Fine Oak 10 Year. It is quite restrained, but nicely complex. With a $45 price point it wasn't overpriced and was actually quite nice, but I wouldn't suggest having it with food or after another beverage/spirit.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #873 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:17 am »
Opened Wild Turkey Rye last night. Not feeling it yet, a bit medicinal. Let's see if it grows on me.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #874 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »
The Macallan is solid. And you are right - feels like a value price. I have paid more for meh.

I am surprised by the delta between so many Ryes given most are from Indiana. Has to be recipe difference given extremes of sweetness. Haven’t had the WT Rye, but blown away by Bulleit’s Rye. Been a long time Dickel fan, but cannot drink their Rye (similar recipe as I recall). Has me wondering about barreling technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #875 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:26 am »
The Macallan is solid. And you are right - feels like a value price. I have paid more for meh.

I am surprised by the delta between so many Ryes given most are from Indiana. Has to be recipe difference given extremes of sweetness. Haven’t had the WT Rye, but blown away by Bulleit’s Rye. Been a long time Dickel fan, but cannot drink their Rye (similar recipe as I recall). Has me wondering about barreling technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Bulleit Rye as well.  Trying that one is what made me want to try other rye whiskeys.  McMenamins just released a rye version of their Billy Whiskey but I haven't had a chance to try it. 

Next week I'm going to a McMenamins hosted whiskey tasting event that includes about 20 different whiskeys from the US, Ireland, Scotland and Japan.  Including a special McMenamins only Woodford Reserve Cosmic Selection.  I'm interested to try that.  Not sure if it's a blend or a single barrel, but I've noticed a lot of special custom blends and single barrel things lately. 

Last month when we were at Disneyland we got drinks at the swanky cocktail bar at Grand Californian and they had a special Knob Creek Single Barrel Disneyland Select.  It was amazing. Sweet caramel, oaky vanilla and just a hint of smoke.  It was very nice.  I would assume you can only get it at Disneyland (or perhaps some other Disney properties, such as the cruise ship).

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #876 on: November 06, 2017, 03:08:03 pm »
We had some nice whiskies at McMennamins - gin as well.
I have an Irish Whisky advent calendar this year with a dram a day for 25 days.  I hope we can keep up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
  • Liberal Elitist
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #877 on: November 16, 2017, 09:06:40 am »
Breaking out of my usual lurker mode to recommend a recent discovery I made at Total Wine: Oregon Spirit Wheat Whiskey. Bought it on a whim just because I'd never seen or heard of it. I'm generally a bourbon guy, but this very well may become my "house" whiskey going forward. Easily among the best I've had in its price range (~$40).
--Monty

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »
Breaking out of my usual lurker mode to recommend a recent discovery I made at Total Wine: Oregon Spirit Wheat Whiskey. Bought it on a whim just because I'd never seen or heard of it. I'm generally a bourbon guy, but this very well may become my "house" whiskey going forward. Easily among the best I've had in its price range (~$40).

I don't know if I've had that one, but another good wheat whiskey is Dry Fly out of Washington State.  I had that one at the Spring Beer and Wine Fest and then went out to get a bottle. 

The Backstage Pass to Whiskey last night at McMenamins was bonkers.  Really impressive list.  It was super crowded but I got to taste some really interesting stuff that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.  There was a really nice Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel, 12 and 18 year Yamazaki from Japan, a large list of Bourbons and Ryes, the highlight of the night was probably the Bookers 25th Anniversary.  I figured it was rare, with the gold wax and the two token cost, but I didn't realize how rare until I looked it up this morning.  In my whiskey haze last night I mistook 25th Anniversary for 25 years old.  Apparently the 25th Anniversary was a limited release in 2014.  It appears the retail on it was 109$, which isn't bad, but the only website I can find with an actually bottle (rather than just a page that says Out of Stock or Unavailable) is wine-searcher.com and it's 750-999$.  Ridiculous. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #879 on: December 05, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »
I've been enjoying Henry McKenna bottled in bond lately.  Damn good and at $32 it may replace some of my preferred bottles (I'm looking at you Wathen's) which have crept up in price over the years.  At 100 proof, it's very smooth and not hot.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »
I've been enjoying Henry McKenna bottled in bond lately.  Damn good and at $32 it may replace some of my preferred bottles (I'm looking at you Wathen's) which have crept up in price over the years.  At 100 proof, it's very smooth and not hot.

I'll be looking to pick some up, Joe. Sounds like a good value for roughly Knob Creek money. Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #881 on: December 05, 2017, 03:44:19 pm »

I'll be looking to pick some up, Joe. Sounds like a good value for roughly Knob Creek money. Thanks.

Let me know what you think. 

I've been going through bourbon pretty quickly lately, particularly with friends coming by over Thanksgiving, and I've defaulted to the handle-sized Bulliet.  It's good stuff, not my favorite, but at $42 for 1.75L on sale it's a damn bargain.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #882 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:21 pm »

Let me know what you think. 

I've been going through bourbon pretty quickly lately, particularly with friends coming by over Thanksgiving, and I've defaulted to the handle-sized Bulliet.  It's good stuff, not my favorite, but at $42 for 1.75L on sale it's a damn bargain.

Will do. The handle of Bulleit is a great value also.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #883 on: December 05, 2017, 05:48:06 pm »
Finished off a bottle of Stagg Jr. this past weekend. While delicious the alcohol is just a bit off putting to me. Of course if I run into another bottle I will buy it. ;)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #884 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:12 pm »
Just read that Diageo is going to 'unshutter' the Brora, Port Ellen, and Rosebank distilleries. Incredible whiskies all, but unfortunately even their new production is likely to be very, very expensive (although the Rosebank is possibly more likely to be somewhat affordable).
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL