Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180538 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #885 on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:38 am »
I picked up a bottle of Trader Joe's Rye Bourbon over the weekend.  I knew about TJ's wine and beer, but didn't know they did liquor since they can't sell it in Oregon.  Found it at a TJs across the border up in Washington where they do sell liquor in grocery stores.  It's usually more expensive than in Oregon, but it is pretty impressive to walk out of Costco with a 3L bottle of Grey Goose.. and boutique stuff like the trader joes or kirkland brands don't make it into the Oregon OLCC stores. 

This whiskey has a very nice rye kick.  The spice almost reminds me of cinnamon, which the only other thing I've had like that was High West Double Rye.  I like it on it's own but it also holds up well to mixing.  Made an old fashioned with it last night for Repeal Day and the whiskey still was apparent, while other whiskies get lost behind the bitters and sugar water. 

It's $19.99 (23 after WA tax) and it comes from a private label distributor in Minnesota so I have no idea who makes it.  The label says it's 70% Corn and 30% Rye, so no Malt (barley) at all and it's 42% (84prf).  When I tried to google it I found out their "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" was made by Sazarec/Buffalo Trace, but that's a different product, so not sure if this one is the same.  Like most Trader Joe's products, someone had some excess inventory (or a couple barrels that didn't match their flavor profile) and off loaded it at a discount.  It may be a one off that doesn't happen again.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #886 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:37 am »
I saw a few places online it is distilled at Barton 1792 which is Buffalo Trace. Now I want it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #887 on: December 06, 2017, 06:35:00 pm »
I generally avoid trader joes but maybe a trip is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #888 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:26 am »
I saw a few places online it is distilled at Barton 1792 which is Buffalo Trace. Now I want it.

I like everything I've had from the Buffalo Trace line.  I haven't had any of the high end stuff like Pappy or GTS, but Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Buffalo Trace, Blantons and Elmer T Lee have all been good.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #889 on: December 10, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
Finishing the bottle on The Macallan Double Cask 12 Year tonight. I really enjoyed this one. I think it was $63 and had a nice complexity and flavor. If it were a tad less expensive it would have been even better because I think at $30 I enjoy Monkey Shoulder twice as much. ;)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #890 on: December 17, 2017, 07:08:23 am »
Wild Turkey Rye is about as boring as you can get. Mixes well, but I won't buy it again.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #891 on: December 17, 2017, 10:49:46 am »
I was in a small boutique-type store on Friday and they had not only a bottle of Sazerac rye but also some Weller Antique.  I know I over-paid by $5 - $8 per bottle (based on the other bottle prices they had) but I haven't found either of these anywhere in something near a year.  Poured a small glass of the Weller last night and was underwhelmed at this price point (one bottle was $32 and one $38, not sure which).  I remember buying the Antique for around $20 or maybe slightly under.  A great deal at that price point, but around here you can't find anything Weller for anything reasonable.  Even VOB is allocated these days.

Also had a couple glasses of Town Branch at a party on Friday.  I would not buy this whiskey and would probably turn it down if offered.  I did not enjoy it.  Something weird in the finish.  IMO, at lot of the smaller craft distilleries are turning out stuff with a similar weird finish.  Maybe the whiskey is too young?  I don't know.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #892 on: December 17, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »
I was in a small boutique-type store on Friday and they had not only a bottle of Sazerac rye but also some Weller Antique.  I know I over-paid by $5 - $8 per bottle (based on the other bottle prices they had) but I haven't found either of these anywhere in something near a year.  Poured a small glass of the Weller last night and was underwhelmed at this price point (one bottle was $32 and one $38, not sure which).  I remember buying the Antique for around $20 or maybe slightly under.  A great deal at that price point, but around here you can't find anything Weller for anything reasonable.  Even VOB is allocated these days.

Also had a couple glasses of Town Branch at a party on Friday.  I would not buy this whiskey and would probably turn it down if offered.  I did not enjoy it.  Something weird in the finish.  IMO, at lot of the smaller craft distilleries are turning out stuff with a similar weird finish.  Maybe the whiskey is too young?  I don't know.
I am not a big fan of Sazerac rye, too hot for me.  We just spent the weekend in NOLA and had Sazeracs at the original bar at the Roosevelt hotel.  The presentation and atmosphere were nice, but I think I make a better one at home.  I did pick up a bottle of Herbsaint to bring back though and I like it better than the absinthe we have.  I bought a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye yesterday and will try it out with the Herbsaint later.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #893 on: December 17, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »
Huh.  I love Sazerac and prefer it on ice rather than mixed.  I'll look for the heat with this bottle.

Since you mentioned Crown Royal, I've been thinking about checking out some Canadian whiskeys with the assumption that their prices haven't gone crazy.  Anyone got Canadian whiskey recommendations?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #894 on: December 19, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
Finishing up a fifth of Kirkland Signature 27 Year Blended Scotch. I think it was about $55 and to me it was a bit hot and the flavors are muted to the point I find it long in the tooth. I don't think at half the price I would love it, so I'm going to suggest you pass on it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:25:14 am by MDixon »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #895 on: December 19, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »
the flavors are muted to the point I find it long in the tooth.

I guess I'm not the only one. I find several of the expensive, older Scotches highly smooth but sometimes at the expense of flavor. Many of my favorite Scotches are in the 12 year (even 10 year) range - obviously a tad hotter than a 15+ but also more intense and enjoyable in flavor to me. I like a very light dose of water in those to open them up anyway.
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #896 on: December 19, 2017, 07:58:25 pm »
Huh.  I love Sazerac and prefer it on ice rather than mixed.  I'll look for the heat with this bottle.

Since you mentioned Crown Royal, I've been thinking about checking out some Canadian whiskeys with the assumption that their prices haven't gone crazy.  Anyone got Canadian whiskey recommendations?

Collingwood. I had a rye they made a few years ago that was maybe the best whiskey I've ever had. Super silly looking bottle. It's been awhile since I've had their standard, but I recall it being quite good as well.
Kyle M.

Offline Robert

« Reply #897 on: December 22, 2017, 08:13:28 pm »
Finishing the bottle on The Macallan Double Cask 12 Year tonight. I really enjoyed this one. I think it was $63 and had a nice complexity and flavor. If it were a tad less expensive it would have been even better because I think at $30 I enjoy Monkey Shoulder twice as much. ;)
Thanks for the tip.  I'm not particularly well schooled in whisky; had seen Monkey Shoulder at the store but never would have tried it otherwise.  Indeed nice for the price.  A tad bit "hot" to my palate, but I've had far more disappointing domestic products at the price ($33 here.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #898 on: December 24, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
the flavors are muted to the point I find it long in the tooth.

I guess I'm not the only one. I find several of the expensive, older Scotches highly smooth but sometimes at the expense of flavor. Many of my favorite Scotches are in the 12 year (even 10 year) range - obviously a tad hotter than a 15+ but also more intense and enjoyable in flavor to me. I like a very light dose of water in those to open them up anyway.

I definitely find this to be true with most blended and Highland scotches; i.e., ones that start on the mellow side to begin with. Johnny Blue and Chivas Royal Salute are my classic examples of this. They are great, easy-drinking whiskies without a doubt, but they've lost all their edge. If I wanted a milder whiskey, I'd be drinking a bourbon instead of Scotch.

Islay malts are a different animal, though. They start off peaty, salty, and smoky when young, and they still carry through a lot of that character well into their old age. As some of the strong flavors start to mellow with time, the complexity really starts to increase. Laphroaig 30 year is the best glass of any spirit I've ever had, bar none. It was till unmistakeably Islay in character, but the peaty/smokiness had mellowed out and you could pick out more nuances in flavor and aroma.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #899 on: December 24, 2017, 01:50:05 pm »
Picked up some George dickel rye yesterday. Haven't sampled it neat but it was delicious in a Manhattan. With a stogie. By the fire pit. Watching Green Bay lose.

All things were good last night