Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180529 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #900 on: December 25, 2017, 08:49:29 pm »
Picked up some George dickel rye yesterday. Haven't sampled it neat but it was delicious in a Manhattan. With a stogie. By the fire pit. Watching Green Bay lose.

All things were good last night
I'd  appreciate a quick update when you've tried it neat.  I think I recall I've enjoyed this one.  I'm looking to pick up a rye this week and could use a memory refresher.  I do recall the price was easy.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #901 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:40 pm »
Not digging it neat. A bit hot. A bit rough. I'm heading back for bitters and vermouth.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Robert

« Reply #902 on: December 25, 2017, 11:24:40 pm »
Not digging it neat. A bit hot. A bit rough. I'm heading back for bitters and vermouth.
Thanks.  I'll probably look to something Canadian -- I know you've inquired about these on this board -- I'll try to report back.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #903 on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
So I got a charred barrel for Xmas and I am thinking if starting with an American bourbon cocktail with a twist. Anyone else playing around with some cocktails in these little barrels? Negroni , Manhattan, old fashions, or boulevardier have all been up for consideration but first will be:

A cocktail that I am dubbing the -
Bobby Boucher
3-750s Bourbon or Rye
1-750 Carpano antica
5 oz Indy Honey
.5 oz peychauds
.5 oz luxardo syrup
Aged for 2 weeks then served over rocks with luxardo cherry and an orange twist

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #904 on: December 28, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »
Had some Talisker on Christmas for the first time in at least 5 years and--unlike other things from my past--it was still as wonderful as I remember it: great balance of peat, honey, etc. I know this is saying what many others have long said, but, damn, it sure is gratifying to be able to rely on some things....
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #905 on: December 28, 2017, 07:36:29 pm »
Had some Talisker on Christmas for the first time in at least 5 years and--unlike other things from my past--it was still as wonderful as I remember it: great balance of peat, honey, etc. I know this is saying what many others have long said, but, damn, it sure is gratifying to be able to rely on some things....

Love that stuff, too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #906 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:48 am »

Love that stuff, too.
Talisker and Scapa are often overlooked because they technically aren't Islay distilleries, but they both fall into that peaty, island-distillery category. They are both fantastic, Talisker is very similar to the coastal Islay malts like Laphroiag and Scapa is in the ballpark of the interior Islay distilleries like Bowmore and Bruichladdich.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #907 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:38 pm »
Finished off a bottle of The Irishman Founder's Reserve on St. Paddy's Day. I found myself going to it quite often as it was smooth with a nice sweetness. Gotta see if I can find it on sale again.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #908 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:29 am »
Finished off a bottle of The Irishman Founder's Reserve on St. Paddy's Day. I found myself going to it quite often as it was smooth with a nice sweetness. Gotta see if I can find it on sale again.

I'll have to give that a try.  I really like Irish whiskey and that's a great price point.

I had a nice pour of Woodford Reserve Rye on Saturday.   Didn't have any Irish but figured I could at least have whiskey.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #909 on: March 20, 2018, 06:59:11 am »
I believe this was on sale for $25.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #910 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »
I believe this was on sale for $25.

That's what OLCC has it listed for.  I love that you can search OLCC's data base to see what they have in stock and what the price is.  The prices are the same in every store in town and if a certain store doesn't have something but it's in the inventory they can order it for you.  From what I've heard a store can request as low as one bottle (doesn't have to by cases).

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #911 on: March 20, 2018, 06:21:44 pm »
Finished off another one, Old Forester Single Barrel bottled for Augusta Liquors 2016. This one was quite tasty, but a tad bit hot for 90 proof. I found it was best with a cube or a splash unless it was your second or third glass of the night.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #912 on: March 21, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
Finished off the bottle of Old Forester Signature 100 Proof tonight. It had a nice complexity for a $25 fifth and the alcohol was nicely restrained as well. There are other Bourbons I like more, but the price on this one is right!

Offline heavydeadlifts01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #913 on: March 22, 2018, 03:38:52 am »
I have become an Eagle Rare 10yr lover as of lately, perfect balance of oak and malt complexity, not hot, goes down smooth neat, and not super expensive.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #914 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:57 am »
Finished off the bottle of Old Forester Signature 100 Proof tonight. It had a nice complexity for a $25 fifth and the alcohol was nicely restrained as well. There are other Bourbons I like more, but the price on this one is right!

I can't remember what Old Forester expression I had a while back (could probably search the posts on here) but I did enjoy it.  I got it to try because those were the barrels we were using to barrel age some beer, so I was interested in the base spirit.  I think I just got whatever the lowest one is, the classic 86 proof.  It was OK neat, but I probably ended up mixing it.  The single barrel and the birthday bourbon both look interesting but are more expensive.