Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180518 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #930 on: April 11, 2018, 10:00:51 am »
I just tried a new one: Grand Old Parr 12.  I enjoyed it.  The right amount of smoke for me, I thought it was at the same intensity as the other flavors: cinnamon, oak, & a touch of clove.  Very smooth.  Caramel finish.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #931 on: April 11, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »

That's a shame since the black bush is quite nice. 

I agree, Black Bush is quite nice with an great sherry note.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #932 on: April 17, 2018, 11:58:57 am »
I just bought a bottle of Henry McKenna. Really impressed for a 10yr at a sub $40 price point. Have to say it may be my favorite mid shelf. I wasn’t surprised seeing I like ECraig. Heaven Hill produces some fantastic product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:32 pm »
I just bought a bottle of Henry McKenna. Really impressed for a 10yr at a sub $40 price point. Have to say it may be my favorite mid shelf. I wasn’t surprised seeing I like ECraig. Heaven Hill produces some fantastic product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love their Bottled in Bond.  Good stuff.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #934 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:34 pm »
Had some Kelsey Creek bourbon at a fundraiser on Saturday.  Was not impressed.  Hot, alcoholic.  Got better as the ice melted and was OK in a Manhattan, but did not keep me coming back for more.

I understand from a little research that it is a Buffalo Trace product.  Didn't excite me.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #935 on: April 24, 2018, 08:45:08 pm »

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #936 on: April 25, 2018, 05:47:45 am »
That's one I haven't seen.
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=14286001000217

I should have known that stuff had to be public record but never knew you could search for it.  I find it interesting that one uses another name "Old Tine Distilling".  Similar to how Blue Moon beer is listed as the "Blue Moon Brewing Company" and not "Miller Coors". 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #937 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
Cool.  I didn't know you could see that.

Anyway, I don't think I had a single barrel, but maybe?  They were pouring from 1.75L handles.  I assumed it was bottom shelf next to the Evan Williams.  Or Benchmark 8.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #938 on: April 25, 2018, 05:55:22 pm »
Having some Mellow Corn Bottle In Bond. A tad bit hot and almost no complexity. Can't expect much for only a few bucks (rhyme intentional).
https://heavenhill.com/brand/25

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #939 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:48 am »
Was over at a friend's house a few weeks ago and tried an interesting whiskey.... Basil Hayden Dark Rye. It's a mix of blended Canadian and American rye whiskeys, combined with port.

Yes, combined with port ..... not aged in port barrel. This gives it some prominent fruity notes and definitely a sweeter finish than I usually like in whiskey. It’s moderately spicy, rich, huge mouthfeel, somewhat sweet, especially in the finish (but not cloyingly so).

Found a bottle at the ABC yesterday, and tried it again last night. I'm really looking forward to getting into it this weekend. Moderately priced ($41), a good sipping whiskey - though I'm sure it'd be great in cocktails as well. I had some neat first and then with a single ice-cube, which really opened it up and released the beautiful, spicy rye character.

Looking at some online reviews, it gets mixed reviews – some fans of traditional rye whiskies think it’s heresy, while others love it. Many question why they chose to blend the already excellent Basil Hayden rye with Canadian rye. Others question why they added port rather than the more common practice of barrel finishing. And why at 80 proof rather than barrel strength?

While I wouldn’t mind answers to those questions, I really don’t care. Me likes it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #940 on: May 14, 2018, 06:33:04 pm »
I read some positive reviews and have seen a few bottles here and there of the Dark Rye. Of course now I have to try it. ;)

Saw a post on FB a county ABC store was having special bottles. Waited in line 3 hours and scored a Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel. They had the Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond, but at $110+tx it was a little rich for my blood.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #941 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »
My go-to Scotch is Costco's Kirkland 12 year. So I picked up the Kirkland 27 year blended Scotch today. $52. It is quite good. Very smooth. So smooth it would be an excellent intro Scotch. Also helping that is the fact that it's 80 proof.

Honey, vanilla, apricot jam, and just a smidgen of smoke. In a word: elegant.

It will be a favorite, but not in the 'Blow me away' category.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #942 on: May 15, 2018, 07:10:40 am »
The issue I saw with it was the price point and a lack of complexity. I think in my neck of the woods it was closer to $60.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #943 on: May 25, 2018, 06:23:21 pm »
Drained the Beam I've had in my barrel last night.  Damn was it tasty.  Nice and oaky but not overpowering.  A lot like Knob Creek but more oak.

I had 7 handles in the barrel for about eight to ten months.  Close to 5 handles came out. 

I've got a stout in the barrel now, and a lot of Beam.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #944 on: June 11, 2018, 06:09:18 am »
So I met someone who should know about Bourbon and they suggested I try Virgin Bourbon. They had sampled it in a blind tasting and were surprised at how good it actually was. I broke down and spent $13 on a fifth. Guess what, I was surprised at how good it actually was. Get some, in fact get two, or five, it's cheap!