Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 17135 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »
Went back and tried some Eagle Rare last night and I did get the cinnamon. For some reason I did not pick that up on Saturday (possibly because I had started off earlier in the day with some Hop Slam IIPA). I actually enjoyed it much more last night. But, for some reason, it still reminds me of Maker's (not in a bad way) - definitely some cherry notes that you find in Makers. But I do prefer the Eagle Rare, no doubt.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
So I stopped by the LS after a haircut the other day and as I was looking at the Eagle Rare a guy says, "that's no the shed head".  I asked if he had any in back and luckily i got the last bottle of the 2013 barrel. Perhaps the last bottle period. Apparently the rep was miffed at the shed heads because it took two rounds of samples to pick one last year. The owner said none met the standards the group had come to expect as something he'd put his name on and sell exclusively in his store.  Anyway, super nice guy. Had a neat taste last night and it's a very, very nice selection. Loads of oak and vanilla that made me sniff at it like your favorite IPA.  I'll see if I can hide it from myself and bring the bottle to Grand Rapids.  :o
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
Old Overholt.

Smoother and less prominent than the J.T.S Brown. I wanted a rye Bourbon but this is too center of the road. Drinkable yet unremarkable at $13.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:05 AM »
Old Overholt is a solid mixer, but I'm not sure I'd drink it straight.

I keep a bottle on hand for Manhattan's, but it's not first choice.  Rittenhouse is also a solid mixer for Manhattan's.  Maybe a step above Overholt.  Overholt is a great deal for the price, though.  Both of these tend to sell out IME.

If I'm not mixing it, I'd rather have something like Russel's Reserve, Sazerac, or something along those lines.

Bulliet Rye makes a very nice Manhattan.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
Old Overholt.

Smoother and less prominent than the J.T.S Brown. I wanted a rye Bourbon but this is too center of the road. Drinkable yet unremarkable at $13.

Euge, what do we have to do to get you to move on from the $13 bottles of mixin' whiskey and into the sippin' variety?
Keith Y.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
Old Overholt.

Euge, what do we have to do to get you to move on from the $13 bottles of mixin' whiskey and into the sippin' variety?

Geez, I was thinking it and you said it. 
I'm not saying it's bad to dabble for a diamond in the rough from time to time. Personally,  I'd rather spend twice as much and drink half as often of stuff you're going to have much better odds of enjoying.  Yeah, there's some spendy stinkers out there too but there's generally a reason the price is higher unless you're paying for a fancy bottle or hype.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
Sipping? 8)

Good thing I picked up a shift tomorrow. Last week I placed an order for 2 bottles of George DIckel Rye that come in then. Keep on mentioning names and I'll look for them. West of the Mississippi the selection differs somewhat. I got a pitying yet appraising laugh from the staff when I asked for some Pappy Van Winkle.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2014, 05:08:04 AM »
OTOH take care of that liver! You might be meaning pints not fifths...
Keith Y.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
I pretty much hate Woodford, but have a buddy who thinks it is the Cat's Meow and so when I spotted the Double Oaked I decided to give it a whirl since his tastes generally mirror my own with a few exceptions.

I jumped across the line into SC where they generally have two prices, one for cash and one for credit and credit is generally 2% more. The price for cash was 49.99 and for credit it was 49.91...I used a card. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
I don't hate Woodford but it isn't quite the same whiskey it was 20 years ago when it won Malt Advocate Whiskey of the Year. Still a decent whiskey, wouldn't turn my glass upside down if you offered me a pour.

Let us know how the double oak is.
Keith Y.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
I decided my rye for now would be this one and it isn't stocked at the specs. This'll keep for a while.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
Major - just not a fan of the Double Oaked either. Tastes like Woodford with, drumroll, more oak. I'll give it a try again with a clean palate (it was National Margarita Day after all so I was obliged to participate), but to me it still has the same alcoholic, acidic character of Woodford just with more oak. At $50 it really wasn't worth the price of admission.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
Had a glass of 15 year Pappy last night.  Damn fine whiskey.  Smooth, complex, carmel, vanilla, wood.  Good stuff.  But at the price per glass, I won't be tasting it again soon.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
Had a glass of 15 year Pappy last night.  Damn fine whiskey.  Smooth, complex, carmel, vanilla, wood.  Good stuff.  But at the price per glass, I won't be tasting it again soon.

This is what I find with so many of the super high-end whisk(e)ys. Johnny Walker Blue Label and Chivas Royal Salute are damn good Scotches, but not worth anywhere near the price. They're something I've had by the glass 2 or 3 times, but I'd never spring for a bottle. There are just as many whiskeys that are just as good (if not better) that don't carry the "name tax".
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »

This is what I find with so many of the super high-end whisk(e)ys. Johnny Walker Blue Label and Chivas Royal Salute are damn good Scotches, but not worth anywhere near the price. They're something I've had by the glass 2 or 3 times, but I'd never spring for a bottle. There are just as many whiskeys that are just as good (if not better) that don't carry the "name tax".

I can't really speak about scotch but as far as Pappy's goes I've never even sniffed an opportunity to buy a bottle.  I've also never sniffed or tasted anything that comes close to the rich complexity of Pappy's 23 year.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
BJCP Certified