Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 86557 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2015, 02:17:06 AM »
Picked up a couple of new bottles this week, they will go into the queue.

The first was a Bourbon, Medley's Private Stock 10 Year. Thus far I have really enjoyed the Medley Bros, Old Medley 12 year, and Wathens Bourbon so I am looking forward to this one when it comes around.

Also picked up Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey from Japan. I tried it at a bar recently and it was nicely fruity. Coffey is the type of still, not coffee which is a mistake even the liquor store was making with the description.

Heard an ABC store had Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch which is only about $40, and they brought me a bottle from the back. Was at another in SC and asking about various things and they also had one under the counter so I snagged it as well. Nothing like having three bottles of your favorite!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2015, 02:50:43 AM »
One can never have enough of that Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. I drank a lot of that when I was in NC last year. I am glad to hear the positive review of Nikka Coffey. That will be high on my list to try. I am looking forward to the Old Medley review. A good friend loves Wathens, so that would be a good Xmas gift.

I tell you, I just got home from having surgery, and I am dying for a glass of bourbon. I also can't wait to brew again. Haven't done that in a good six months, which was six months removed from the batch before that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:01:31 PM by kmccaf »
Kyle M.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:54 AM »
Yall are having an effect on my purchasing choices. 2 will be suppers and one is going to a hockey game in a plastic flask tomorrow. Any guesses as to which will be in the flask?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline 69franx

« Reply #498 on: December 12, 2015, 04:59:48 AM »
Jon and Pinski, great suggestion on the double wood. So smooth, might become my new favorite sipper over Macallan 12
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #499 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »
Jon and Pinski, great suggestion on the double wood. So smooth, might become my new favorite sipper over Macallan 12

Nice. I think it's head and shoulders over Macallan in terms of flavor and complexity.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #500 on: December 12, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
I agree Jon after just one short tasting. Won't regularly be stocked at home, but when I am on the mood. The sales guy tried to push the Balvenie Double wood 17 year when I go to the counter. Steep jump from $63-$149! Maybe next time around but not likely
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #501 on: December 12, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »
I agree Jon after just one short tasting. Won't regularly be stocked at home, but when I am on the mood. The sales guy tried to push the Balvenie Double wood 17 year when I go to the counter. Steep jump from $63-$149! Maybe next time around but not likely

Yeah, big jump.  Ouch.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #502 on: December 12, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »

Wow, yeah that is steep. While navigating the duty free maze at Heathrow I stumbled across the 17 year and they also had Triple Wood that looked interesting but about the same price point.  The financial committee wasnt' having it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #503 on: December 12, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
The financial committee wasnt' having it.

That's funny, my financial committee would very likely concur.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #504 on: December 14, 2015, 02:29:04 AM »

Double wood 17 is a juice worth the squeeze frank....great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #505 on: December 15, 2015, 01:13:55 AM »
Yeah, big jump.  Ouch.
When I acquired my bottle of Portwood 21-year it only cost $39. It is by far my favorite non-Islay single malt, but I've been reluctant to finish that last pour because I don't know if I could justify the replacement cost nowadays.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20:51 AM »
Yeah, big jump.  Ouch.
When I acquired my bottle of Portwood 21-year it only cost $39. It is by far my favorite non-Islay single malt, but I've been reluctant to finish that last pour because I don't know if I could justify the replacement cost nowadays.

Wow, that's an absolute steal for 21 year even years ago. I'm sure the cost today is steep.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
I bought a Pierre Ferrand 25 year cognac for my father in law in his waning years.  As much as I know I indulged him at the time, the price of  replacement bottle, to be kept in memoriam, was $80+.  There's no way I dropped that much 5 or so years ago.  No way.  I can't believe how some of the prices have jumped.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2015, 05:54:59 AM »
I bought a Pierre Ferrand 25 year cognac for my father in law in his waning years.  As much as I know I indulged him at the time, the price of  replacement bottle, to be kept in memoriam, was $80+.  There's no way I dropped that much 5 or so years ago.  No way.  I can't believe how some of the prices have jumped.
Makes me wish that my dad was into something other than wine. I bought him a bottle of Opus One for his 60th a few months ago. That one hit the wallet pretty good.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #509 on: December 15, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »

Makes me wish that my dad was into something other than wine. I bought him a bottle of Opus One for his 60th a few months ago. That one hit the wallet pretty good.

Yep as far as wine goes- great choice. Uber pricey for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale