Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 147775 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1305 on: December 17, 2021, 06:19:48 pm »
Finishing off a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6 Year Old Rye tonight. At 90 proof it's only alcohol is post consumption warming. A nice rye with a $35 price tag which is budget friendly.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1306 on: December 29, 2021, 06:23:19 am »
Finished off an Ezra Brooks Distillers Collection Bourbon Whiskey pick last night. Quite good , 107 proof, and with the 35 buck price of admission I'll probably snag more of these as I run into them.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1307 on: January 29, 2022, 08:40:38 pm »
Finished off a Knob Creek Rye (always tasty) and two Maker's Mark Private Collection stave picks recently. Unfortunately my nose was hypersensitive for about half of the three bottles. I was not a fan of the MMPC bottles when my senses were off, but after they normalized I found them overpriced, but tasty. One had a strong red wine flavor and the other was similar, but with brown sugar. My preference was to the slightly sweeter brown sugar variant.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1308 on: January 30, 2022, 07:50:10 am »
I just finished off a Knob Creek 12 year that was very tasty. I was proud of myself for how long I was able to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #1309 on: January 30, 2022, 09:04:22 am »
I love to sip a nice warming Bourbon but often can't afford my favorites. For an every-day sipper you can't go wrong with Evan Williams. I usually find 1.75-liter jugs for under $20.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1310 on: January 30, 2022, 11:20:53 am »
Another great gift from my 1st born!!
I truly am fortunate for such a thoughtful and gifting child.

Spent Friday night tasting with friends and everyone had positive reviews.

I will definitely keep this in the rotation!

Speyside Scotch is starting to be a favorite!!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1311 on: January 31, 2022, 07:00:10 am »
I noticed in NC the Caribbean Cask is now priced 20 higher than Balvenie 12. At one time they were priced very close and often they pop up at Costco in SC at a very affordable price.

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1312 on: January 31, 2022, 02:14:10 pm »
I noticed in NC the Caribbean Cask is now priced 20 higher than Balvenie 12. At one time they were priced very close and often they pop up at Costco in SC at a very affordable price.

Unfortunately it is nothing more than price gouging gone wild. What other reason could it be?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1313 on: January 31, 2022, 03:45:23 pm »
As much as I would like to say NC is price gouging, the margin percentage on every product is set to be the same. So the price they are getting from the distributor is higher for CC than B12.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1314 on: February 08, 2022, 08:03:55 am »
Word on the street is the latest bottlings of Early Times Bottled In Bond are not very good. The tell is the back label will say Sazerac on it below the DSP locations. If it doesn't have Sazerac or a Sazerac address it is probably an older bottling. If it does then you may want to skip it based on the reviews I have seen thus far.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1315 on: February 27, 2022, 11:39:28 am »
Finished off a bottle of Blade And Bow. A little too pedestrian for my tastes. It was an unexpected thank you gift for a charitable contribution, so the price of admission was fantastic. At the normal price of 45 beans I would look for something else.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1316 on: April 04, 2022, 06:33:31 pm »
Finished off a Four Roses Small Batch Select last night. Was a little pricey at around $55 or so. But outstanding. Oak and vanilla. Dark. Not too hot at 104 proof. Reminded me of Knob Creek but really outstanding knob creek. Definitely would buy again.

I’m also nursing the ends of a few single barrel picks of Jepsons Bourbon. The regular bottling is good but not outstanding. The single barrel picks are outstanding, though the Binnys pick was the least of the three and the most expensive. Will buy more at the next opportunity. $32 each for two barrel strength bottles of good whiskey. I should have bought a case.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1317 on: April 05, 2022, 06:59:48 am »
Haven't heard of Jeppson's, apparently it's a Chicago Bourbon made from MGP product and a KY Bourbon they then blend, or it was.

Finished off a Rebel Distiller's Collection pick by a local which was nice, but I'm not a wheater fan. Still, at 40 beans it wouldn't break the bank.

I finally inventoried my queue. Some might call it a collection, but I plan to drink them all, just not sure when. I also only display four Bourbons and two Tequilas. Let's just say it's less Bourbon than I thought and more Scotch. Now I will have to remember to update the spreadsheet as things empty or if I buy anything new. Discovered my stash of Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond is running low.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1318 on: April 05, 2022, 08:55:37 am »
Yes.  Jeppson's is renowned for their Malort and not for bourbon.  The bourbon is a relatively new offering in the last few years, so I took a "risk" on the barrel selections.  For the price point, I'd rather get Old Grandad BIB than the regular Jeppson's.  But it was worth getting as a lark.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1319 on: April 05, 2022, 02:25:52 pm »
Yes.  Jeppson's is renowned for their Malort and not for bourbon.  The bourbon is a relatively new offering in the last few years, so I took a "risk" on the barrel selections.  For the price point, I'd rather get Old Grandad BIB than the regular Jeppson's.  But it was worth getting as a lark.

lol, anyone have a tasting (even if its just an old memory) of what malort tastes like? I had a distant swedish relative who lived in chicago in the early 20th century, they might have had it.