Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New or old Soda Kegs  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
New or old Soda Kegs
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:07 am »
Just wondering if anybody else is finding the old soda kegs to be too much of a headache and switched over to the new soda kegs?  I'm always chasing down some gas leak, repairing something, etc on an old soda keg. This question is very much on my mind as I am noticing the cost for a repair kit and old soda keg are quickly approaching the cost of a new keg.

Thanks guys!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: New or old Soda Kegs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:26:29 pm »
I have a mix.  Old ones in good condition are totally fine and well worth it to me.  But "good condition" is an important factor there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »
I made sure I had enough (for now) old kegs so I don't see myself getting a new one.  I did take the worst keg I had and made a bright tank out of it (cut an inch off the dip tube ) so if you have one that won't hold pressure well, you could at least use it for that.  Or for storing 5 gallons of Star San.

I've noticed a lot of the "deals" being posted regarding refurbished kegs, and you're right...they are getting closer to just buying new ones.  Hopefully the new ones will continue to drop a little more.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:34:51 pm »
Yeah. Mine all work, but some have oddball parts and they are not pretty. The cheapest new kegs I've seen were $180 for a 2/pack. If I had to do it over again, I'd strongly consider that over ordering used kegs off the internet. I'm sure you get the stock nobody wanted to buy in the store when you do that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:18 pm »
Yeah. Mine all work, but some have oddball parts and they are not pretty. The cheapest new kegs I've seen were $180 for a 2/pack. If I had to do it over again, I'd strongly consider that over ordering used kegs off the internet. I'm sure you get the stock nobody wanted to buy in the store when you do that.

is that 180 for two kegs? or 180 each if you buy two? If the former please post your source!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »

is that 180 for two kegs? or 180 each if you buy two? If the former please post your source!
$180 for two - $90 each. or $335 for 4 - $83 each.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/2X-KEG-5GAL-NSH_ball_lock_keg.html

With plastic bottoms - $195 for 2.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/Set_of_2_AB5G-SH_ball_lock_kegs.html
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:48:31 pm »

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/2X-KEG-5GAL-NSH_ball_lock_keg.html

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/Set_of_2_AB5G-SH_ball_lock_kegs.html

At that price point I would have to seriously consider the merits of used. I guess there is benefit in that most of the new ones are a lot flimsier than the old ones which were built to last. on the other hand most of us are not treating our kegs like a 16 year old who is unhappy with his crappy job at mc d's either so maybe it all comes out in the wash.

Given that so many of the used kegs are now being sold as scrap to china and most of the new kegs are coming from china I wonder how much of that SS was originally in a old keg and got recycled into a new keg?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »
http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/Ball-Lock-NEW-5-Gallon-Class-2/

Under $70.  New, but scratch and dent.

They were $63 a little while ago.  I would buy some but I've got enough kegs at a dozen +.  Of course, can one ever have enough?

I've not ordered from Beverage Elements, but a friend sent me the link.

EDIT:  Yes, at this price I would buy new.  Kinda fries me as that's only a little more than my last batch of used a few months ago which needed more reconditioning than usual.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »
I think you have to weigh the issue of thinning herd too.  When many of us bought our used kegs, there were a lot of kegs to choose from.  What was considered "Good" condition 7 to 10 years ago would likely be "Excellent" condition today. 

The used market is likely getting down to the last drips from an almost empty tank.  I don't think we are too far from there being no usable kegs left in the used market.  You see more shops advertizing new kegs now because used are almost nonexistent.

It's just my opinion, of course.  I got my last kegs when you could still get 4 used for $100.  I can't imagine needing more than 14 but if I ever do, I'd probably buy new. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »
The used market is likely getting down to the last drips from an almost empty tank.  I don't think we are too far from there being no usable kegs left in the used market.  You see more shops advertizing new kegs now because used are almost nonexistent.

My LHBS said they've got their last batch of used simply because of the quality drop.  It's not worth their suppliers time to with the reduced quality of what is available.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »

Nice thing about the kegs you linked to, they are listed as 8.5" in diameter. Many of the Chinese kegs I see are 9" in diameter. For me it is a big deal as my kezzer can fit four at 8.5" and only three at 9"

Do they appear to be near identical DIMS as the old corny/Italian ball locks?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »
  I got my last kegs when you could still get 4 used for $100.  I can't imagine needing more than 14 but if I ever do, I'd probably buy new. 

Paul

+1.   I have over a dozen and I bought a good number of them back then for ~ that price.  They all would be considered in good shape today and once a year get taken apart and o-rings all changed, cleared for service. I'm not paying these new prices for used kegs. Honestly, I have enough kegs (for me) not to need to.

Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 06:53:08 am »
I got my last kegs when you could still get 4 used for $100.  I can't imagine needing more than 14 but if I ever do, I'd probably buy new. 

Paul
+1.   I have over a dozen and I bought a good number of them back then for ~ that price.  They all would be considered in good shape today and once a year get taken apart and o-rings all changed, cleared for service. I'm not paying these new prices for used kegs. Honestly, I have enough kegs (for me) not to need to.
All you guys and your shiny $25 kegs can go ... get me a beer.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 07:02:47 am »

Paul
All you guys and your shiny $25 kegs can go ... get me a beer.

:D       
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
I have a couple of the new ones with the single strap and while they're nice, they don't have removable poppets. That bothers me. I've read that you can remove them and insert the universal poppets, which is fine, but I question the abilities of the universals.
I also had issues with posts getting stuck and had to send a couple kegs back for replacements.

Having said that, I'd still buy new. I just make sure to put in the comments on the order to make sure the posts can be removed before shipping.
I have 3 used kegs that I got from Midwest about 3 or 4 years ago that were $30 a piece. The prices have doubled in the last 2 or 3 years. It's crazy.
Might as well buy new.
Jesse