Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash-in volume concern  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
mash-in volume concern
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:50:02 am »
So I am planning to brew a session pale with 8.40# of grain for a 5.5 gallon batch.  Utilizing a popular brew software program, it indicates that I need to mash in with with 2.88 gallons of water and sparge (in my case, batch sparge) with 7 gallons.  It seems rather low amount of strike water and a large amount of sparge water.  But, it is consistent with the 1.25 qt/lb ratio. 

I typically mash in with roughly 4-4.5 gallons (based on the recipe) and try to create equal runnings, but for some reason, I am getting drastic numbers on this one, utilizing both software and my own calculations.

Thoughts? 

Roughly 2 gallon evap (rocky mountains), with little equipment loss. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: mash-in volume concern
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
I would do 1.8-2 qts/lb for strike water if you have the room in your MLT. That puts you in your normal range. Then figure out how much you need after first runnings to achieve your desired preboil volume. I don't use software to figure that part. I just do what experience tells me.
Trey W.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:46 am »
Nothing wrong with a thinner mash. I no-sparge and don't run into any issues until I hit the 4 qt/lb or thinner range. I say just use your usual volumes in this case instead of targeting a specific thickness. Be aware that you might overshoot your typical efficiency with a thinner mash.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Right on par with my typical practices but the software got me thinking I was missing something.  I guess sometimes I have to just trust my process.

Thanks.

Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:41:37 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Right on par with my typical practices but the software got me thinking I was missing something.  I guess sometimes I have to just trust my process.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that the software is just a tool for you to use to help you brew like you want to.  It is NOT instructions about how to brew.  You decide that yourself.  Don't let the software push you around!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:46:31 am »
Cheers to that Denny!  :)
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:16:00 am »

Thanks.

It's easy to fall into that trap, especially when you're pretty comfortable with your software 90% of the time. Sometimes you don't realize that this is one of the other 10% and start to overthink. Been there, done that!
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:17:17 pm »
I mash at 1.7 QPP, or more because I always mash with at least 5.5 gallons. 5.5 gallons is what it takes to submerge my brewmometer probe. Scientific huh? But I find it works just fine even with 1.035 beers.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »
I mash at 1.7 QPP, or more because I always mash with at least 5.5 gallons. 5.5 gallons is what it takes to submerge my brewmometer probe. Scientific huh? But I find it works just fine even with 1.035 beers.

I mash with exactly 4 or 4.5 gallons of water every time (I use the larger amount for beers getting a lot of hops). Thickness ranges from 4 qt/lb for session brews up to 2 qt/lb for barleywine. That's just how I've dialed in my system. Works for me.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 10:15:23 pm »
This is one of those things to get hung up on I think. So, Zainasheff says he mashes at 1.25 QPP (guessing) and he wrote a book so that what everyone should do. Palmers book says 1.5-2 QPP, so maybe that's right. But what about no sparge? Do they only mash at 2QPP and just make small batches of high gravity?

I think it's all good so long as you understand crush and dilution of enzymes and varying degrees litner etc.

Point being that if a recipe calls for 1.5 QPP and you do it at 1.7, its still going to make beer.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »

Keep in mind that the software is just a tool for you to use to help you brew like you want to.  It is NOT instructions about how to brew.  You decide that yourself.  Don't let the software push you around!  :)

This made me smile and ranks up there with some of the best advice I've read! Preserve the artistry! Thanks Denny.
Corripe Cervisiam