Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on a Belgian strong ale...  (Read 2210 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Thoughts on a Belgian strong ale...
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
I recently kegged my most recent variation of a golden strong ale.  Pulled a sample today, and despite a low carbonation (still has a little time to set under pressure) it tasted pretty good. Banana and pear esters, with a low floral/herbal hop presence. A touch of peppery phenols. Taste is the same, fruity and peppery, with a very low hop flavor, and a sweet malty background, that reminds me of uncooked bread dough. Medium mouthfeel.
My thinking is to dryhop with an ounce or two of Nelson Sauvin... Think that would pair well with the very forward banana and pear flavor/aroma?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:30:35 pm by jamminbrew »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Thoughts on a Belgian strong ale...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »
I'm normally a huge proponent of dry-hopping with Nelson, especially if you want to tweak a style that isn't normally dry-hopped. But I'm picturing a big clash in a BGS. Nelson is potent, and I'd be afraid that the grapefruit and white wine character wouldn't be such a good fit. But I've never tried it, so if you use a light hand it may turn out fantastic for all I know.

I love Caliente in dark Belgians. The plum note pairs amazingly with Special B, D-180, WY1762, etc. For a lighter Belgian I'd be tempted to use Meridian, which is more on the peach/apricot side of stone fruit with less citrus than Caliente. Safe choices would be noble hops like Hallertau, Tettnang, Styrian Goldings. Sterling is another noble-type hop that has a bit more fruit as well.

Whatever you decide to go with, please report back with your results!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:06 pm »
+1.  As much as I love Nelson in Saison or IPA, I don't totally see it in this style. That doesn't mean a little couldn't work though. Aside from the obvious true noble hops, +1 to Sterling - sort of a fruitier Saaz.
Jon H.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:13 am »
Thanks, guys. Nelson Sauvin is one hop I'm not familiar with yet, so I appreciate your input. Think I'll save it for the pale ale I have planned...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:06 am »
Thanks, guys. Nelson Sauvin is one hop I'm not familiar with yet, so I appreciate your input. Think I'll save it for the pale ale I have planned...

You won't go wrong there!
Eric B.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:32 am »
I think it depends on how sweet, malty and phenolic it is. I'm picturing a Duvel dry hopped with Nelson and I'm diggin' in.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »
I think it depends on how sweet, malty and phenolic it is. I'm picturing a Duvel dry hopped with Nelson and I'm diggin' in.

Duvel recently produced a version dry-hopped with Styrian, Saaz, and Hallertau (IIRC) - it was sublime.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:50:08 pm »

Duvel recently produced a version dry-hopped with Styrian, Saaz, and Hallertau (IIRC) - it was sublime.

Tripel hop is a fantastic beer. Original version was Saaz, Styrian Goldings, and Amarillo, then dry hopped with more Styrian. Last year they started featuring a new hop each year. 2012 was Citra and 2013 was Sorachi. Never got around to trying the Citra. The Sorachi was pretty nice, though.
Eric B.