Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain brewing - pump or no pump?  (Read 21467 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: All grain brewing - pump or no pump?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 03:52:40 pm »
I think if you are using gravity all the way there is no need to have a pump. Only a hose to fill the HLT at the top.

In my case I use a hybrid gravity single-tier batch-sparge system.

The point is that I used to use a pump but found it kinda troublesome and messy. I can cool my wort just as well without a recirc or whirlpool. Less equipment and fittings to buy, clean, maintain and keep track of. To get all the connects, fittings and silicon hose I wanted was going to run me over $100!

I've pretty much eliminated everything from my brewery as non-essential and have streamlined my process. I use a minimum of equipment and do large boils (12+) on my kitchen stove. No tricked out system. Just a kettle with a ball-valve, a 70qt cooler, several large buckets, one piece of vinyl tubing and a single long handled spoon. A copper IC and frozen bottles to cool it all.

So I'd say one would have to consider the expense and impact a pump will have on the process, the system and the learning curve. Mistakes will be made. A flailing hose pumping hot wort is no walk in the park... And like many things in homebrewing just because everyone is doing it and it seems like a natural evolution to the process doesn't make buying a pump necessary.

euge, I keep meaning to try your frozen water bottle techinique. My IC works well enough and I can drop the temp the rest of the way with the fridge but I would love to save some water. I go through probably 20-30 gallons chilling a 10 gallon batch.

+1 to the frozen bottle technique. I've done it for years.  Like Euge I've tried to simplify my system over the years.  It's cheap, easy, and works.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »
Chilling today, I got a Doppelbock down to 48F using tap water. It has been cold here.

50' immersion chiller, pump, and Jamil return whirlpool.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »
Forklift!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »
Freakin awesome!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 06:16:52 pm »
Now THAT'S a damn gravity system !
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »
Do those hydraulics count as a pump?  BTW, I used the pump and the Jamil whirlpool and it worked great; I'm going to add a pre-chiller for when the wort gets under 80F, just to see how fast I can get it down in the 50's.  It only took about 35-40 minutes for 10 gallons of wort to go from boiling to 2 degrees above inlet temperature using 52F tap water.  Call me a convert.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 12:59:56 pm »
Chilling today, I got a Doppelbock down to 48F using tap water. It has been cold here.

50' immersion chiller, pump, and Jamil return whirlpool.

Same setup here, similar results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 02:01:05 am »
Pumps are awesome. I would brew without one if I had to, but I'll put up with the pump whine no problem. Check out this:

http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

Can't do that without a pump!

This is interesting. They point out that with a counter-flow or plate chiller, you're leaving a large portion of the wort at near-boiling temp, while an immersion chiller takes care of the whole batch equally. That's never occurred to me. I'm rethinking my plan to buy a therminator.

fistfullofhops

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:11 am »
I found pictures of the rig I was talking about with the boiling kettle hoist.

Also found a pic of my first gravity fed system :)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 07:38:40 am »

Safety First!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:22:43 am »

Safety First!
Oh Goodness! I don't feel so McGiverish now.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

fistfullofhops

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:04 am »
Ha! I thought you guys might like that picture. I was 23yrs old and pretty short on resources and funds. I slapped that ghetto setup together in the garage of our rental house and brewed a good amount of beer with it.

fistfullofhops

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:07 pm »
I think if you are using gravity all the way there is no need to have a pump. Only a hose to fill the HLT at the top.

In my case I use a hybrid gravity single-tier batch-sparge system.

The point is that I used to use a pump but found it kinda troublesome and messy. I can cool my wort just as well without a recirc or whirlpool. Less equipment and fittings to buy, clean, maintain and keep track of. To get all the connects, fittings and silicon hose I wanted was going to run me over $100!

I've pretty much eliminated everything from my brewery as non-essential and have streamlined my process. I use a minimum of equipment and do large boils (12+) on my kitchen stove. No tricked out system. Just a kettle with a ball-valve, a 70qt cooler, several large buckets, one piece of vinyl tubing and a single long handled spoon. A copper IC and frozen bottles to cool it all.

So I'd say one would have to consider the expense and impact a pump will have on the process, the system and the learning curve. Mistakes will be made. A flailing hose pumping hot wort is no walk in the park... And like many things in homebrewing just because everyone is doing it and it seems like a natural evolution to the process doesn't make buying a pump necessary.

The silicone hose is nice stuff. It doesn't discolor or collapse when it gets hot. It doesn't get a memory so it's easy to coil. And you don't need hose clamps on the barbs because it seals perfectly yet pulls off so easily.

Offline yeastinfection

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 08:02:53 am »
I use gravity,  but I tell people that I use a "Newton Pump."

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 10:00:14 am »
I use a pump to reduce lifting and to recirculate with a WIC during chilling.  Once I solved the priming challenge and got my process dialed-in, the pump ends up being a net time-saver for me. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!