Author Topic: All grain brewing - pump or no pump?  (Read 5470 times)

Offline ajbrenneis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: All grain brewing - pump or no pump?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
I have a single tier system so pumps are a necessary part of it.  Not that I am complaining that i dont have to do much heavy lifting... ..
Adam Brenneis

Member - AHA
President - Harrisonburg Homebrewers
BJCP Provisional Judge (Testing March 2014!)

Don't forget to vote for AHA Governing Committee Members Feb 20th-Mar 31st! Cast your vote for Adam Brenneis!

Offline fistfullofhops

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Decided to pull my pump out of retirement. I made my own version of a whirpool nozzle. I did a test run with water and I got a pretty nice whirpool. I made some gaps in the IC so the flow can get all the way to the center. I'm going to test it out tomorrow. I'm planning on brewing (2) 12g batches.

steve

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:11 AM »
I'm just now adding a pump so I can pull the wort through my system w/o gravity. I'm sure my back will appreciate the gesture.

One of my goals is to be able to filter the hop sludge and break material so I can get cleaner wort into the fermenter. I did notice something in this thread...

...(more hoses, trub filter and chiller)

Trub filter? I'm thinking of using my Hop Rocket stuffed full of hop-socks. What do you use?
AHA Member

On Tap: AIPA with all EXP 1210 Hops, Kolsch
On Deck: Robust Porter

Offline fistfullofhops

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
The pump sped up my process today but I had a couple accidents with siphons while disconnecting and reattaching hoses. I think I need to add a couple ball valves to alleviate the problem.
steve

Offline fistfullofhops

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I re-plumbed my whirpool nozzle to more resemble Jamil's design. His configuration just makes it easier, and the elevated inlet will eliminate the siphoning problems I ran into on the last batch when I disconnected hoses.

steve

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
Just an observation -The whirlpool definitely speeds the chilling time as expected.  One drawback is that it results in a less clear wort going into the fermenter.  So on yeast harvest after fermenting, I find that I have more trub.  Not a big deal for me, since I repitch on volume, anyway (1/2 for lagers and about a third for ales - timing my beers so that I rack from primary on brew day of the repitch batch).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »
I hear that if you let it settle for a bit (10-15 min) after whirlpool that it's clearer than no whirlpool. I haven't done a side by side test but I think this is true.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:03 AM »
I have a false bottom in my kettle. With whole hops you get a natural trub filter, and clear wort when you are done whirlpooling.

Otherwise you should wait for it to settle, as suggested.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:33 AM »
I remove my hop-bags and give my kettle a good stir and go do something else for 10-20 minutes. That's my whirlpool.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline fistfullofhops

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
Worked well on a recent 13g batch. I was below 140*F in minutes with a 50' x 3/8 OD immersion chiller. Please excuse the hazards; we have a one car garage and the weather was nasty so real estate was at a premium. I never left the burner unattended.

steve

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:21 AM »
Looks good - that is pretty much my setup, only I went with half inch copper on the IC and 3/4 copper water line on the whirlpool attachment for the pump.  And I have now had much better success allowing the whirlpooled wort to sit for a while after chilling - very clear wort, indeed.  No filtering, other than a false bottom...but I may go a whole hop addition for one of the hop selections just for the extra filtering it provides!  Thanks for a good post and helpful thread.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fistfullofhops

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »
In the FWIW category, I gave my wort a good length of horizontal run after the 90 elbow, along with a reduced diameter nozzle, in an effort to achieve a nice laminar flow. While I can't prove that it makes a difference, I am a firm believer that a little bit of nozzle technology goes a long way. Kind of like comparing a disney world fountain with with running a garden hose with your thumb on the end; one is a nice solid rod of liquid whereas the other just sprays everywhere like a wet fart.
steve

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
Looks good - that is pretty much my setup, only I went with half inch copper on the IC and 3/4 copper water line on the whirlpool attachment for the pump.  And I have now had much better success allowing the whirlpooled wort to sit for a while after chilling - very clear wort, indeed.  No filtering, other than a false bottom...but I may go a whole hop addition for one of the hop selections just for the extra filtering it provides!  Thanks for a good post and helpful thread.

I let mine settle about 20-30 after I cut the whirlpool. A good timer for that is to let your gravity sample settle. When it looks good I drain the kettle

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
I've found this remote control to be brilliant when used with my pump:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q9EFUK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

When draining the mash gets down to the last slow bit I can stay parked in my chair and stop the pump for a minute while more builds up. I love it.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
I've found this remote control to be brilliant when used with my pump:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q9EFUK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

When draining the mash gets down to the last slow bit I can stay parked in my chair and stop the pump for a minute while more builds up. I love it.
Good idea to control the pump.  Just picked one up.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"