Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gotta Vent about CaraPils  (Read 24171 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Gotta Vent about CaraPils
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 02:21:00 pm »

Is it OK to use Carapils in an IPA just to get rid of it? You know it's taking up space in the brew closet...

It's OK to use it whenever you want.  I was just ranting to make a point about using it in IPAs with crystal and a lot of hops specifically for head retention.....don't mind me.

I was just kidding around. But I do seriously have about 4oz of catapults in the brew closet that I has been sitting there for months. I plan to throw it in something soon.

Toss it in an IPA with some crystal 40 and a ton of hops.

I hear it's great for head retention..... ;D
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
Tom, I read that as Gliadin is the name of the Gluten in wheat and that there is 69% total protein in wheat.  They are mutually exclusive...

Dave

If you are right then they are not mutually exclusive since total protein includes gluten. ;)  But raw wheat is something like 8-15% protein, not 69%.  Good malting barley is around 11-12% protein.

Also, they named the table "Type and Percentage of Gluten In Different Grains (in order)"  Note the "percentage of gluten" part of that.  They are saying that 69% of the total protein is gluten.  They are also saying that the type of gluten is gliadin.  Here is the problem - gliadin is a component of wheat gluten, but it is not 69% of the gluten or of the total protein.

Gluten is made up of several types of protein that go by different names.  Gliadin (and the others listed, including zein from corn) are the prolamin component of gluten from that grain.  Glutenin is in the glutelin family of proteins, and is a major component of the total protein and of gluten.

If you look at the table below you'll see that, under the conditions they tested, gliadin accounted for ~23% of protein content, and glutenin ~40%.
http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/content/64/12/3627/T2.expansion.html

So I'm still going with that table being inaccurate.  And misleading.  And it has a typo.

But what is the percentage of gluteus?  Maximus?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 02:40:17 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^LMAO....
Dave Zach

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 05:29:18 pm »
I swear Sierra Nevada's website used to specifically list carapils as an ingredient in Torpedo and Celebration. 

Now it just says "Two-row Pale, Caramel." 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
But what is the percentage of gluteus?  Maximus?
;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 10:51:40 am »
I swear Sierra Nevada's website used to specifically list carapils as an ingredient in Torpedo and Celebration. 

I'm as certain as I can be that Celebration has always been just pale and crystal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 02:13:54 pm »
The only reason it makes sense to use carapils is if your brewhouse is set to mash at a specific temperature but you need/want more dextrins in your beer. Rather than recalibrate your system to mash higher on some beers you can adjust the dextrin content of different beers with carapils.

Definitely agree carapils is overused by homebrewers and often used for the wrong reason. Recipes mashing at 149 for fermentability with a chunk of carapils makes no sense. Just ferment warmer and leave out the carapils.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »
I find that Carapils works well to increase body, without adding the residual sweetness you get from higher crystal/cara malts. I have found that mash temps don't really have as much effect on body as the grain bill.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 11:17:16 pm »
I find that Carapils works well to increase body, without adding the residual sweetness you get from higher crystal/cara malts. I have found that mash temps don't really have as much effect on body as the grain bill.

I agree with your first sentence, but to the second I would counter that you just aren't mashing high enough. I haven't seen any appreciable difference in body even mashing as high as 156. It's not until I hit the 158-162 F range where I've seen an increase in body. I think that most of the malt we're using nowadays are so loaded with enzymes that even in the mid 150's they've done their job before the majority of them have denatured.

I mash barleywines at 148, session beers and anything seeing some Brett at 162, and everything else at 153. But I do think you have the right idea for the proper use of CaraPils.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 11:53:39 pm »
Hi. My name is Jim, and I use carapils.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 12:30:29 am »
;D Hi Jim!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:48 am »

In an IPA with 2 pounds of crystal malt and a sh_t ton of hops for the sole purpose of head retention while mashing at 149F?   :o :o :o :o

I'm using some in my BoPils today.

Dave

Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2013, 07:30:37 am »

I agree with your first sentence, but to the second I would counter that you just aren't mashing high enough. I haven't seen any appreciable difference in body even mashing as high as 156. It's not until I hit the 158-162 F range where I've seen an increase in body. I think that most of the malt we're using nowadays are so loaded with enzymes that even in the mid 150's they've done their job before the majority of them have denatured.

I mash barleywines at 148, session beers and anything seeing some Brett at 162, and everything else at 153. But I do think you have the right idea for the proper use of CaraPils.

Beta is active up to the 158F temp, where it rapidly denatures. Alpha denatures rapidly at 176F.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:22 am »

I'm as certain as I can be that Celebration has always been just pale and crystal.

i do recall that Torpedo did, but never saw Celebration say that.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:42 am »

Beta is active up to the 158F temp, where it rapidly denatures. Alpha denatures rapidly at 176F.

Which is why it amazes me that I hear things like "you should mash high around 152-153F to get some extra body". It's one of those old brewers myths that just keeps hanging on that 153F is a high mash temp, and 156 is super high.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer