Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to darken my Saison  (Read 5150 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: how to darken my Saison
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:18 am »
How about a darker palm sugar (jaggery) instead of simple cane.  I like to throw in a pound into some of my brews.  It's pretty cheap at the local Indian market.  Morticaixavier's recommendation of aromatic is good, too.  It's provided a nice golden hue to some of my saisons.

I found jaggery added an odd flavour, not saying it was bad but I didn't care for it. Either sinimar or cold steeped carafe but the best by far is to not worry about it. Are you actually comparing this to an SRM chart and seeing that its really a 4 or is this just what your brewing software is telling you it is?  I wouldn't sweat it at all unless your going for Ninkasi next year.

Offline yeastinfection

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »
How much cane sugar is in your recipe?
I would just substitute some dark Belgian candy sugar for all or a portion of it.
The final flavor difference should be minimal compared to adding something like chocolate malt.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:50 pm »
If your saison is too dark for the style guidelines, then the style guidelines are wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 02:50:45 pm »
If your saison is too dark for the style guidelines, then the style guidelines are wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Haha...yeah I am not going to worry about. I never know exactly what color my beers are anyway considering each grain is usually given a range by the maltster/supplier...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:05 pm »
How much cane sugar is in your recipe?
I would just substitute some dark Belgian candy sugar for all or a portion of it.
The final flavor difference should be minimal compared to adding something like chocolate malt.

I've used a lb of cane sugar in a saison before. You don't really need it though.  Mash low and use plenty of saison yeast and it'll finish plenty low. I mashed my last one @ 148F and used the notorious 3724 and it finished @ 1.002. 
Jon H.