Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are you guys using to filter your boiling kettle?  (Read 6879 times)

fistfullofhops

What are you guys using to filter your boiling kettle?
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:47 am »
I boil in a converted sanke and filter with a bazooka t screen placed firmly against the bottom the kettle. It filters great but even with it tight on the bottom of the kettle I still lose at least a half gallon of pure gold when the siphon breaks. I see Denny is using a copper tube with holes drilled in the bottom and I imagine this drains the kettle pretty thoroughly. I'm thinking about making something similar but with larger diameter tubing (1/2 or 3/4). Also considering a couple el cheapo stainless braids. I use a lot of pellet hops in a 5g paint strainer bag. The SS false bottoms look nice but it seems like they could lift or become dislodged during the boil because it looks there's nothing holding them down.  Would love to hear what some of the folks around here are using.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:04:23 am by fistfullofhops »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What are you guys using to filter your boiling kettle?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:07 am »
I changed my set up around about 5 or 6 times until I finally got comfortable with what I have used now for about a year. I basically scrapped everything in the brew kettle. The only hardware that I have inside is a copper pipe angled down to catch the bottom edge of the brew kettle. I don't bother with a hop spider or anything like that anymore. I toss my hop pellets right in (I had 12 ounces in the brew pot for my last brew). I gravity feed into a sanitized fermenting bucket. At the end of my hose going into the bucket, I zip-tie a sanitized nylon knee high hose. This catches just about everything coming out of the brew kettle. Once done draining, I'll hold the hose up out of the bucket and let it drain out. If there is any solids left in the wort at this point, it is caught in the funnel screen when I dump into the carboy.
Frank

fistfullofhops

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:00:24 am »
Simple yet brilliant.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:40:07 am »
Actually, I've gone to a side pickup now.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 10:47:42 am »
Yep! A side pickup avoids more of the trub and you can always tip the kettle to help direct most of the wort to the pickup.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

fistfullofhops

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:27:30 pm »
I fixed up a new design tonight from 1/2" ID copper mostly because HD sold a union for it which makes for an excellent quick change connector. I can fine tune it if it's too high or too low.

Trying to figure out how to post pics. Anyone know the secret?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:51:08 am by fistfullofhops »

fistfullofhops

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:52:16 pm »
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/cmz8r

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/v3cox

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to display these images.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:53:12 am by fistfullofhops »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:43:45 pm »

There is an "insert image" button underneath the Italics button on the post screen. It looks like a mini Mona Lisa. Just put the url inside the "img" tags. I'd do one for you as an example, but I'm at work and your image host is blocked by our firewall.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:39:44 pm »
Nothing.

This was the installation pic about 5 years ago and nothing has changed:

I use coarse mesh bags for whole hops and don't worry about pellets- which are used rarely. Practically no wort loss or sometimes I'll discard the pint or so of break material slurry and wort.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

fistfullofhops

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 04:45:48 am »

There is an "insert image" button underneath the Italics button on the post screen. It looks like a mini Mona Lisa. Just put the url inside the "img" tags. I'd do one for you as an example, but I'm at work and your image host is blocked by our firewall.

I tried that. Maybe the host that I'm using isn't going to work.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:36 am »
I used a side pickup but then opted for a standard 10 inch false bottom for a sanke keggle with the dip tube in the middle.  With the sanke conversion, the side pick up missed too much wort - this shows the benefit of the flat bottomed kettle for guys who have that - the side kick up definitely was easier (less cleaning/disassembly, etc...)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

fistfullofhops

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 05:16:05 am »
I used a side pickup but then opted for a standard 10 inch false bottom for a sanke keggle with the dip tube in the middle.  With the sanke conversion, the side pick up missed too much wort - this shows the benefit of the flat bottomed kettle for guys who have that - the side kick up definitely was easier (less cleaning/disassembly, etc...)

What keeps the FB from becoming dislodged? Is there something on the dip tube that locks it down?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 07:20:14 am »
Nothing.

This was the installation pic about 5 years ago and nothing has changed:

I use coarse mesh bags for whole hops and don't worry about pellets- which are used rarely. Practically no wort loss or sometimes I'll discard the pint or so of break material slurry and wort.

^^^ this is basically what I have on the inside.
Frank

fistfullofhops

What are you guys using to filter your boiling kettle?
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
One more try.

Yay, it worked. I decided to finally install tapatalk.

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 02:16:59 pm »

Love them side pickups.  Change the angle/height of pickup based on anticipated hop/trubload.  A good whirlpool and 15 minute wait replaced all the filtering/bagging I messed around with in the past.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...