I changed my set up around about 5 or 6 times until I finally got comfortable with what I have used now for about a year. I basically scrapped everything in the brew kettle. The only hardware that I have inside is a copper pipe angled down to catch the bottom edge of the brew kettle. I don't bother with a hop spider or anything like that anymore. I toss my hop pellets right in (I had 12 ounces in the brew pot for my last brew). I gravity feed into a sanitized fermenting bucket. At the end of my hose going into the bucket, I zip-tie a sanitized nylon knee high hose. This catches just about everything coming out of the brew kettle. Once done draining, I'll hold the hose up out of the bucket and let it drain out. If there is any solids left in the wort at this point, it is caught in the funnel screen when I dump into the carboy.