Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxyclean  (Read 20719 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: oxyclean
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:36 pm »
IMO, the rinsing defeats the purpose.

Although I use StarSan, I don't agree about the rinsing.  I've always considered this an overblown worry unless you are using your own well water.  I like the no-rinse stuff because I don't need to do the extra step of rinsing, and that it takes more effort to use bleach effectively.  Charley Talley (Five Star Chemicals, who used to be in the bleach manufacturing business before Five Star) has some really good info on how to use bleach correctly in one of the interviews he did with Basic Brewing Radio or Brew Strong (I don't remember which).  Two of the big things I recall are that you want to acidify your water with the bleach, and that large brand bleach loses its microbe killing potency over time because they add sodium hydroxide and the cheap brands don't.  Also, if you do the acidified bleach treatment in the right amounts, you don't need to rinse it anyway.  Obviously if you want to go this route, make sure you read up on how to do it so that you don't end up mixing your acid and bleach first before adding it to the water.
If I remember right, you acidify the bleach water with vinegar.  Also, the large brand bleaches are more effective for general use because the manufacturers raise the pH, and they will stay effective for much longer than the cheap brands for that reason.  However, for our use you want to buy the cheap stuff because you want to lower the pH to increase the effectiveness, and it is better to do that if they have not buffered the pH.

Or, you know, use starsan.  That's what I do.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »
Wha...? No Enzyte for a lab guy like you?   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:07 am »
I purchased some TSP, but I had to go online for the MSDS to see the ingredients. No mention of Sodium Metasilicate. It does contain TSP dodecahydrate and sodium sesquicarbonate (sodium carbonate.)will this work with the oxyclean or do I need to find the stuff with the Sodium Metasilicate?

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 11:14:17 am »
Red Devil TSP 90 is not Trisodium Phosphate. 

This is the stuff I use, which is sodium metasilicate.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-0261-Heavy-Cleaner/dp/B000LNTXIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387822366&sr=8-1&keywords=red+devil+tsp+90
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:15:57 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 07:47:20 am »
I purchased some TSP, but I had to go online for the MSDS to see the ingredients. No mention of Sodium Metasilicate. It does contain TSP dodecahydrate and sodium sesquicarbonate (sodium carbonate.)will this work with the oxyclean or do I need to find the stuff with the Sodium Metasilicate?
Maybe a little confusing if you don't know the history, but TSP stands for trisodium phosphate. Phosphates are one of our biggest water pollution problems and so most detergents have reformulated without it. Phosphate-free replacements like red devil use TSP in their name so consumers recognize it as a replacement, but don't actually contain TSP. Basically, TSP became generic for "detergent". I imagine it would work mixed with oxyclean, but I don't know that for sure.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:38 am »
Red Devil TSP/90 is what I use to mix with oxiclean. It works rather well.
Jesse