Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping with Lager  (Read 4472 times)

Offline anapsid

• 1st Kit
Dry Hopping with Lager
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »
So I am making my first lager and I was looking to dry hop.  Should I do this during primary or during Lagering?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Hopping with Lager
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:11:49 pm »
Never done it myself, but I would imagine towards the end of lagering.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »
Your best of dry hopping at warmer temps, 60-70 degrees, to avoid extracting "grassy" flavors. I get much better results dry hopping warm as opposed to cold.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:56:30 pm »
Dry hop immediately before serving, in the keg if you've got it.

Use a dry hop bag and make sure you can pull the bag when the intended intensity is reached, or if you detect the slightest hint of grass. It doesn't take long with a delicate lager!

I actually prefer to dry hop in the kegorator. I know several pro brewers have stated otherwise, but I think I extract less grassy/vegetal flavors on the cold side. Its easy to get a daily sample when its on tap!

I used an ounce of Moteuka in a Pils recently. Sublime!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »
It's interesting to read about peoples different experiences with brewing. I know a few homebrewers I respect have said they have not gotten grassy flavors from dry hopping cold but the times I have dry hopped cold I have gotten definite grassy flavors and I much prefer dry hopping warm for my pallet. But it might be something you need to try both ways to determine for yourself.

Offline anapsid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:17:23 pm »
I may shy away from dry hoping then this time around...it is my first lager after all and I had a hell of a time coming up with a pitching and primary fermentation temperature (so many sites with so many contradictory information). 

Thanks guys, I really have to say these message boards alone are worth the membership fee! Then toss in the magazine...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:56 pm »
I think that the best dry hop character comes at room temp by far , but I often add an oz or so at kegging (and leave in keg) to reinforce the aroma and make it last longer.  I don't pick up much grassiness from doing this.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »
For my dry-hopped lagers I dry hop in conjunction with a diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation, prior to lagering. You'd probably get a fresher dry hop character by dry-hopping immediately before packaging, but at the expense of more haze, but lagers are meant to be smooth in my book so I don't mind a smoother dry hop character.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:14:10 am »
It's interesting to read about peoples different experiences with brewing. I know a few homebrewers I respect have said they have not gotten grassy flavors from dry hopping cold but the times I have dry hopped cold I have gotten definite grassy flavors and I much prefer dry hopping warm for my pallet. But it might be something you need to try both ways to determine for yourself.

I feel the same way. You have to assume so many other factors come into play: equipment, conditions, type of hops/yeast, etc. etc.

Another reminder - the best way is what makes the best beer for you. Doesn't mean we can't still debate via forum ;D
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:48 am »
I get grassy dry hop results when I use low alpha hops cold.  I do not get this with higher >9%AA hops.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim