Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All extract laziness  (Read 2106 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
All extract laziness
« on: December 25, 2013, 02:50:07 pm »
Hi all and Merry Christmas!
I got one of those little 1 gallon kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop from a relative and I was surprised to see the instructions actually follow a sorta' all grain brew. Is it possible to tweak this and just do all extract? Why you ask? Because I'm lazy and only want to use one little pot. Thanks.

[url]http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn_Brew_Shop_Everyday_IPA_Instructions.pdf/url]

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: All extract laziness
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 03:09:53 pm »
You could convert the base malt to extract. Pounds of base malt x .75 for liquid extract and x .6 for dry extract. This would work best if the base malt and specialty malts we separate.

I would just go for it as is.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:31 am »
I always guessed those kits were designed for BIAB style brewing. You could do a no-sparge BIAB all grain brew and do it all in one kettle. Just put all the sparge and mash water into the mash and put the milled grain in a nylon strainer bag. Put the bag in the grain and steep at whatever temperature the kit says for an hour. Pull the grain bag, dunk it a few times to rinse off the grains, let it drain out and then discard the grains. You're ready to start boiling.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:05:46 pm »
I always guessed those kits were designed for BIAB style brewing. You could do a no-sparge BIAB all grain brew and do it all in one kettle. Just put all the sparge and mash water into the mash and put the milled grain in a nylon strainer bag. Put the bag in the grain and steep at whatever temperature the kit says for an hour. Pull the grain bag, dunk it a few times to rinse off the grains, let it drain out and then discard the grains. You're ready to start boiling.

+1

When you pull the grain bag, put it in a colander/strainer over your kettle and let it drip. If you have a fine-mesh bag, then twist and squeeze the bag like mad to get as much liquor as you can out of it. If you're using a muslin bag, or something else with a large mesh, I'd skip the squeezing step. Otherwise you may end up with husk bits in your boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 04:46:23 pm »
OK, did the kit as it today. With someone who only has 2 extract brews under his belt, this was a pleasure. Very easy and fun to do in your kitchen. This was certainly a lot easier than firing up my propane burner and using my enormous kettle for a 5 gallon boil. Good times.