Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Belgium Ranger  (Read 3699 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
New Belgium Ranger
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
Well, New Belgium finally made it to Ohio today, so I helped myself to several $2.99 bombers of Ranger IPA. This beer is very good so I went to their website. The malt bill consists of pale malt and C-120. This beer is very light in color, so the C120 has to be minimal. Have any of you used dark crystals in an IPA like this?
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: New Belgium Ranger
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:26:32 pm »
I've had Ranger, Frank, and I agree they clearly don't use a lot.  I stay in the C20/40/60 range for AIPA though.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
I do too. This just got me thinking because this is a thin, dry body that I'm digging. So just thinking maybe a few ounces of 120 can get me here and minimize the crystals in the beer.

In addition, my next brew is going to finally be my Zythos IPA and I plan on trying to dry is out as much as possible by mashing low and using WLP 007.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:36:34 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:42:40 pm »
I limit crystal to 5% and use a fair amount of gypsum to get a nice dry IPA normally.  But you could try a little bit of the 120 - just don't use much. It would get darker and burnt sugar/raisiny pretty quick. I'd have never guessed they used it. Well, it's good stuff !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »
Yeah unless it's a typo on their website and supposed to be 20, because this is one of the lightest IPAs in color that I've seen.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »
20L makes more sense. It could be a typo.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »
Eh... Looked at it again... In the description it says "...pale and dark crystal malts..." So I don't think it's a typo. I might give this a shot and use maybe 3 or 4 ounces of 120 in my next batch and see what happens. The worst that can happen is.... It's beer... It'll be good
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:45:44 am »
Eh... Looked at it again... In the description it says "...pale and dark crystal malts..." So I don't think it's a typo. I might give this a shot and use maybe 3 or 4 ounces of 120 in my next batch and see what happens. The worst that can happen is.... It's beer... It'll be good

+1. not a bad worst case scenario.

I like that IPA a lot. It's right on the edge of too bitter but the hop presence is phenomenal. Try it in the 16 oz cans if you can find it. even better.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:26 am »

I like that IPA a lot. It's right on the edge of too bitter but the hop presence is phenomenal. Try it in the 16 oz cans if you can find it. even better.

Ok. I'll have to keep an eye out. Right now it's just 22 oz bottles in Ohio. And they're very fresh. Though it's just gotten here, I've had several NB beers before. I remember really liking Red Hoptober.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:21 am »

Ok. I'll have to keep an eye out. Right now it's just 22 oz bottles in Ohio. And they're very fresh. Though it's just gotten here, I've had several NB beers before. I remember really liking Red Hoptober.

Red Hoptober was good. Unfortunately, they change their seasonals every year now so I believe it is gone. It drives me crazy especially when the replace a good one with a not so good one. NB was one of my favorite breweries but this annoyance has knocked them down a peg in my book...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
Yeah unless it's a typo on their website and supposed to be 20, because this is one of the lightest IPAs in color that I've seen.

Avery IPA also uses C-120L, but I think its only 2-3%.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:31 pm »

Avery IPA also uses C-120L, but I think its only 2-3%.

Good to know... I think I'm going to go about this and give it a shot.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:32 pm »
I find it interesting that they use Black Malt in their Imperial IPA

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 02:21:58 pm »

I'd imagine its a relative 'handful' or less only to get the color a bit darker than an all 2 row beer would turn out.  wouldn't be surprised if it was added add sparge time either. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »

I'd imagine its a relative 'handful' or less only to get the color a bit darker than an all 2 row beer would turn out.  wouldn't be surprised if it was added add sparge time either.

I would assume that as well but it surprises me that they wouldn't want a bit more malt balance for such a hoppy beer...and yes I realize that an IIPA is about hops and not malt...