Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 60 schilling  (Read 9721 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: 60 schilling
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:58 am »

I suppose you could mix up some DME or LME with enough water to prevent it from instantly scorching and then caramelize that. if you used the MO extract might work pretty well

That is perfect!  If you need to caramelize some wort, start with an extract that is partially rehydrated.  Since the real time is spent dehydrating the initial wort so that it can be heated to caramelization temperature, starting with a concentrated wort takes that step out of your way.  Caramelization would only take a few minutes if you start with concentrated wort. 

Brilliant!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:19:09 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:23 am »

I suppose you could mix up some DME or LME with enough water to prevent it from instantly scorching and then caramelize that. if you used the MO extract might work pretty well

That is perfect!  If you need to caramelize some wort, start with an extract that is partially rehydrated.  Since the real time is spent dehydrating the initial wort so that it can be heated to caramelization temperature, starting with a concentrated wort takes that step out of your way.  Caramelization would only take a few minutes if you start with concentrated wort. 

Brilliant!

**blush**
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:04 am »
There really is not big magic to this. Just take first runnings and put them onto a boil while you are spargin the rest. Your boil down will be done before you finish your main boil. Just add the caramelized runnings back to the main batch boil.

Get yourself a candy thermometer and watch for the caramelization to happen. You can find information on the topic here: http://www.food-info.net/uk/colour/caramel.htm

You can't just wing the process. You need to be aware of it and watch it constantly as to make sure that it is done correctly. That being said it will make your beer so much better.

My Traq recipe with boil down instructions.

Code: [Select]
Traquair house Clone
(All Grain) 11 US Gallons
[ Back to the Main Recipe Page ] [ Back to the Scottish Ale recipe Page ]

This Homebrew Recipe was added by
Skotrat on November 12, 1997 at 19:50:39:
(Please contact them if you have questions about the Recipe)

Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 US gallon at High Krausen
Batch Size: 11 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol Content: 8.64 %
Total Grains: 32.79 US Pounds
Color: 12-22 (depending on carmelization)
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 28.6
Boiling Time: 2 hours
Primary Fermentation: 10 days @ 62f
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days @ 58f
Additional Fermentation: 2 months in brite tanks @ 45f

Grain Bill:

32.48 lb. Scottish Malting GOLDEN PROMISE PALE ALE 2 ROW (99%)
.31 lb. Roast Barley (1%)

Hop Bill:

1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 45 min
1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 35 min

Mash Schedule:

Single Step Mash:

90 minutes @ 154
10 minutes @ 168

Brewers Notes:

Yeast: WYEAST Scottish Ale

1728 Scottish Ale
Rich, smokey, peaty character ideally suited
for scottish style ales, smoked beers and
high gravity ales. Flocculation - high;
apparent attenuation - 69-73%. (55-70�F)

Notes:

Remove two gallons of first runnings and Carmelize it (boil down to about 1 pint and add back to boil). This will give the richer taste that you find in this finebeer.

Collect 15 gallons of Run-off and boil down to your 10 1/2 gallon target (the other 1/2 gallon will come from the 1/2 gallon starter of yeast slurry that you have made in advance).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of Irish Moss into the boil just because.

Traquair is the finest of all Scottish Ales. Their recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. 99% Pale Ale Malt, 1% Roasted Barley and 25-37 IBU's.

I have found this to be the common thread for this brew after reviewing about 30-40 recipes from Homebrewers that have cloned this brew.

About 1/2 of the recipes claimed that Traquair uses East Kent Goldings as the hop and the Other claim that Northern Brewer is the Hop.

I chose Northern Brewer because I am very fond of them as base hops.

I hope you like the recipe and if you brew it please let me know how it turned out and any changes that you have made.

Hope this helps

-Scott

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 01:35:50 pm »

I'll probably just try it with specialty malts if I brew it again. Don't really care for taking a break in the brew day to boil a side job several hours.

It won't be anywhere near the same...I've tried it.

I have as well. It's ok but I prefer the skotrat method's results. It's my wife's favorite beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 10:25:23 am »
I made this beer commercially and it turned out excellent. I used the golden promise as suggested and it was the key, I agree. There's no way I could do the concentration at the size batch I was making but the 4 hour boil did the trick. I also used a high percentage of best Munich II and that added some nice mealtimes.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 02:26:47 am »
You can't just wing the process. You need to be aware of it and watch it constantly as to make sure that it is done correctly. That being said it will make your beer so much better.

You ain't kidding! I was checking my side boil every 5-10 minutes or so and in the course of 5 minutes it went from "nothing to see here" to "whoa crap, I better not leave". But when it was ready it tasted so good I could have just poured it over some ice cream instead of back into the main boil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 12:42:04 pm »
Wow, boiling 2 gallons down to 1 pint is pretty radical.  I boiled down 2 gallons to a little over 1 quart when it the boil started to act up and decided I didn't want to watch over it much longer or risk burning it.  Next time I might boil down further.