Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Getting old
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:58 am »
It's the drug ads that amaze.  They all list why you should be on this or that for 10 seconds and then 50 seconds on side effects and outcomes that could be life threatening.  The worst one I've seen is the testosterone replacement ad that talks about doing all the things young men can do but then says don't let members of the opposite sex come in contact with treated areas.  Isn't contact with the opposite sex the primary driver for taking the drug in most men's minds?  Do these adds really work?

My son had to write a commercial in some class in grade school and he added a list similar to this at the end of his add.

"Do not use if you are/have ever been/ever plan to be/know anyone who ever has been/is/plans to get pregnant.
Do not use is you currently process oxygen.  Do not use while driving or have ever smelled exhaust from a 2 or 4 stroke engine, have touched or ever think you will have to touch any petroleum derived product.
..."

It went on and on.  The teacher thought it was hysterical.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 11:12:25 am »
It's the drug ads that amaze.  They all list why you should be on this or that for 10 seconds and then 50 seconds on side effects and outcomes that could be life threatening.  The worst one I've seen is the testosterone replacement ad that talks about doing all the things young men can do but then says don't let members of the opposite sex come in contact with treated areas.  Isn't contact with the opposite sex the primary driver for taking the drug in most men's minds?  Do these adds really work?

My son had to write a commercial in some class in grade school and he added a list similar to this at the end of his add.

"Do not use if you are/have ever been/ever plan to be/know anyone who ever has been/is/plans to get pregnant.
Do not use is you currently process oxygen.  Do not use while driving or have ever smelled exhaust from a 2 or 4 stroke engine, have touched or ever think you will have to touch any petroleum derived product.
..."

It went on and on.  The teacher thought it was hysterical.

Paul
Ah, perhaps there is hope for the future after all.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 11:30:32 am »
This thread is getting better and better   ;D

Love it. ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »
Ads?  Don't watch anything in real time, and >> past the BS.

Football games I record and then start watching an hour later. 
>> past commercials and halftime gets me to the end of the game as the game gets there in real time.

I watch all of the NFL games worth watching via DirecTV Short Cuts.  The entire game in 30 minutes. Each play back to back, snap to whistle. No comments, no commercials.

Getting old beats the s*** out of the alternative.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 12:17:51 am »
Ads?  Don't watch anything in real time, and >> past the BS.

Football games I record and then start watching an hour later. 
>> past commercials and halftime gets me to the end of the game as the game gets there in real time.

Same here. I couldn't tell you any movies that are playing or have come out in the past 3 years because I never watch commercials. The rare times I actually put on live TV my 3-year old starts bugging out because he doesn't understand why I can't skip the commercials.

It's the best for sports. I can watch a full 3-hour UFC PPV, plus 2 hours of the FS1 prelims in 2-3 hours depending on how many fights go to decision. I work a lot of weekends, so I end up watching the Pats games late at night after the whole family is asleep and can do it in under 2 hours (faster if I'm in a rush).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:47 am »
best part of no cable or antenna or dish is no commercials and not paying for 500 channels filled with stuff i'd never watch. the worst part is waiting almost a year to catch up on the few shows i like when they finally arrive on blu ray/dvd.

the internet ads are getting pretty annoying though.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 03:29:37 am »
5 channels, 50 channels, 500 channels... who cares?  I pay for the hours of entertainment and information I receive.  I'm pretty picky about what I spend time watching.  I'm not sure if that is so much a function of getting older as it is a function of improved technology.  The selection of on demand material, and controlling playback has radically changed the passive viewing paradigm.  Advertisers have been a bit slow getting up to speed on that.

I definetly do not pay to waste time watching ads, or other inane pap that passes for television entertainment these days.

This evening I'm bingewatching season 3 of Homeland.  Up next, 3-07 "Gerontion"
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:00 am »
I don't spend enough time in front of the TV to warrant recording anything. Pretty much the only live TV I watch is college and pro football. Don't even have cable TV.