Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single Infusion Mash Time  (Read 12935 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Single Infusion Mash Time
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »
I've found no negative effects from mashing long, if pH is correct. I usually test for conversion by refractometer. I've found that on my system 90 minutes works well for any of my grain bills.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »
Pilsner malt is a 90 minute mash time (I know, SMM/DMS myth, etc...); 2 row or MO - 60 min; All Munich or Vienna, then back to 90.  Probably lost money on my car insurance, but conversion happens every time!

YMMV and I could be talked into 75 for Pilsners, followed by a hard boil and quick chill.  SMM and DMS should be avoided with that.

I have never heard that the mash had anything to do with DMS just the boil. I have always been under the impression that the mash time had to do with enzymatic activity and the relative speed at which that happens.

Duh, brain fart.  You are right Mort.  Was thinking conversion and boil at 90 minutes and crossed my wires.....yes, I'm getting old.  SMM/DMS is only boil related AFAIK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
60 -90 minutes for me usually. Mash temps 149F or under get 90 minutes. I've gone as long as 2 hours.
Jon H.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:12 pm »
Mine is somewhere between 60-90 minutes, depending on what else is happening between dough-in and sparge.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 01:26:40 am »
Mine is somewhere between 60-90 minutes, depending on what else is happening between dough-in and sparge.

Pretty much the same here.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:12 am »
I mash for 60 minutes because that is how I learned and it works:) The only beer I brew with a longer mash is a dry stout and I mash that for 120 minutes. It is a recipe I got from Boulevard and that's what they told me to do so I do it;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:00 am »
Since that's usually my time to grab a pizza downtown, it can be up to 90 minutes.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
I mash anywhere from 60 minutes (single infusion) to 3 hours (long triple-decoction schedule).  It really depends on what style I'm brewing and what I'm trying to accomplish with the mash. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 11:37:26 am »
45 - 90 minutes. Based on what Beersmith tells me to do! :)
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 11:49:31 am »
45 - 90 minutes. Based on what Beersmith tells me to do! :)

Remember, Beersmith is a tool to help you brew the way you want to brew.  It is not instructions about how to brew.  YOU should make the decisions!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:34 pm »
Typically 60 minutes for me, just the way I learned.  I will also extend to 75 or sometimes 90 for low range temps and or more fermentability. I've never actually tested the conversion, even with the simple iodine eye test but the FG results have been consistent with expectation based on temp/mash times.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:55 pm »
Seems pH is more important than I originally thought regarding conversion. I normally mash for 60 minutes but for some reason the last couple of batches have come up short on gravity points into the kettle.

Not sure if I'm not converting fully or if it is a sparge issue - I haven't changed my sparge process but I have been playing with water chemistry and my last couple of batches came in at pH 5.2 in the mash, so conversion is my prime suspect. Maybe I'm not mashing long enough?

I read something to the effect longer mashes can increase fermentability, so I'm trying 90 minutes on my next brew this weekend - I figure it can't hurt as long as I'm keeping the pH in check.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:10 am »
A very good local pro-brewer said during a club tour that conversion is done within a very short amount of time (2 minutes seems to be what I recall).  I was shocked by that but don't necessarily doubt it, especially for the time of beer he brews (primarily American IPA).  Of course his mash goes on longer simply because it has to- dough-in takes time on a 10 barrel brewery.

I do 50-60 minutes because it works and I heat up my batch sparge water & mash-out water during the mash.  It ain't broke so I don't fix it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 10:15:54 am »
Seems pH is more important than I originally thought regarding conversion. I normally mash for 60 minutes but for some reason the last couple of batches have come up short on gravity points into the kettle.

Not sure if I'm not converting fully or if it is a sparge issue - I haven't changed my sparge process but I have been playing with water chemistry and my last couple of batches came in at pH 5.2 in the mash, so conversion is my prime suspect. Maybe I'm not mashing long enough?

I read something to the effect longer mashes can increase fermentability, so I'm trying 90 minutes on my next brew this weekend - I figure it can't hurt as long as I'm keeping the pH in check.
If you can keep a good eye on your volumes you can take a sample of the wort directly from the mash tun and determine your diversion efficiency. Sean terril or kaiser (can't remember which right now) built a good tool for calculating this.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:21 am »

Hey Marc!  Haven't heard from you in a while.....

I'm the same here.  Could be 60 minutes could be 120 depending upon what's going on.  Typically 60 though unless I'm doing a Hochkurz and then it's 45 and 45.

Dave
Dave Zach