Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first BIAB  (Read 1324 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My first BIAB
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:09:54 pm »
It only got up to 19°F here today, so I talked SWMBO into allowing me to Brew in a bag in the kitchen. I usually do 10 gallon batches, so this was a unique experience doing a two and half gallon batch. I made a scaled-down Bock using what I had on hand and everything seems to have worked out well.  The batch is chilling further in the garage and I am going to pitch the 2206 yeast shortly.  I think I could get used to this....

Any specific suggestions on 2206 in terms of fermentation?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My first BIAB
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:33:01 pm »
2206 is a great yeast, perfect for a bock.  It'll work well even down into the upper 40s, although I usually run it in the low 50s.  Almost never throws diacetyl.  It even makes a great pils, although maltier beers are where it really shines.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: My first BIAB
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
It's still cranking, albeit fairly slowly at this point.  Waiting to see the Krausen fall out and then I will take a reading.  Looks like a good yeast for reusing - nice and robust once it got going (I started it a little on the cool side due to the frigid outside temps, so I shielded the primary and added a light bulb on a wall base thermostat inside the cooler to maintain things at 50F).  Thanks for the advice, Denny!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"