Author Topic: WLP 002 Starter Looks Funny  (Read 1091 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
    • View Profile
WLP 002 Starter Looks Funny
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
Made a 2 L starter with two vials of WLP 002 last night.  Directions say to take it out of the fridge 3-6 hrs prior to pitching.  I took it out about 1 hr before pitching.  It has been on a stir plate since then.  Today it looks very chunky.  Looks like the yeast is congealed(?).  Anybody ever had this happen?  Did I shock the yeast, or does it just need time to break up?  The wort was about 75F when I pitched and the yeast was probably around 65F.  Here's a pic:

Trey W.

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
    • View Profile
Re: WLP 002 Starter Looks Funny
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
You're good. That strain just looks like cottage cheese.

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Yep, you're good. Nothing to see here.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
+1 You're lucky any of it is in suspension.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
That's great to hear. I have the stir plate wide open which is why it is in suspension.
Trey W.

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
Egg drop soup should be added to the description or on the packaging to prevent people from freaking out. Looks about the same in the fermenter.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Like the rest have said, that looks perfectly normal to me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
Ummm . . . I'm a little confused/concerned with your procedure.
Made a 2 L starter with two vials of WLP 002 last night.  Directions say to take it out of the fridge 3-6 hrs prior to pitching.  I took it out about 1 hr before pitching.  It has been on a stir plate since then.
You made a starter with 2 vials of WLP002 and put it in the fridge, then pulled it out today and put it on a stir plate?  And it stayed on there for one hour before you put it in your wort?

That's the way I'm reading this. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

Made a 2 L starter with two vials of WLP 002 last night.  Directions say to take it out of the fridge 3-6 hrs prior to pitching.  I took it out about 1 hr before pitching.  It has been on a stir plate since then.
You made a starter with 2 vials of WLP002 and put it in the fridge, then pulled it out today and put it on a stir plate?  And it stayed on there for one hour before you put it in your wort?

LOL No. When I got the yeast I put it in the fridge. Prior to making the starter, I took the yeast out of the fridge and it sat on the counter for an hour before I finished the starter wort and got it chilled. Then I pitched the yeast into the starter wort. Then I put it on the stir plate. Then you have the pic I posted. Got it? :)
Trey W.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing, looks like a normal, pre-crashed starter to me
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
I think he is talking about taking the vials out of the fridge.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »

I think he is talking about taking the vials out of the fridge.

Yes
Trey W.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »

LOL No. When I got the yeast I put it in the fridge. Prior to making the starter, I took the yeast out of the fridge and it sat on the counter for an hour before I finished the starter wort and got it chilled. Then I pitched the yeast into the starter wort. Then I put it on the stir plate. Then you have the pic I posted. Got it? :)
Ah, ok. ;)

WLP002 floccs like crazy, I've even tried breaking them up with a vortexer when I was freezing samples, it didn't work very well.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
I am not crashing this starter before I pitch, but when I do pitch should I decant most of the wort and just pitch the floc'd yeast?
Trey W.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »

I am not crashing this starter before I pitch, but when I do pitch should I decant most of the wort and just pitch the floc'd yeast?
in order to decant you would have to cold crash it for a day or two to force the yeast to floc out completely, otherwise you risk decanting a lot of yeast in suspension. If you can't crash it then pitch the whole thing but that wouldn't be my recommendation;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010