Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dopplebock too big?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dopplebock too big?
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:23:43 am »
My daughter and her fiancĂ© wanted to brew a dopplebock last May for Christmas, so I did my rare extract batch to shorten our brew day.  I used 11 lbs of dark LME, 3 lbs of pilsner LME and steeped about a pound of Crystal 120.  Wow is it rich and malty, but at 11% ABV this thing may be too big for a presentable dopplebock.  More of a barley wine lager.  Even so it attenuated well and is remarkably drinkable.  So, is it too big for the style?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Dopplebock too big?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:29 am »
According to the guidelines, 10% abv is the max. If it doesn't taste too hot and is drinkable, then I wouldn't worry.
Dan Chisholm

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:34:28 am »
I also think the addition of crystal malt is a mistake in doppelbocks, or if you are going to add some be sure to keep the addition low (I have used cara munich 60). Perhaps this is especially so in an extract beer which may already have problems with fermentability. The beer should be reasonably quaffable - you should be able to drink a liter - if it is brewed correctly. For me, personally, 11% is too high but IIRC the BJCP guidelines don't have a limit (or maybe I'm wrong, too lazy to look it up right now.)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:33:38 am »
The BJCP guidelines do have an upper limit on every beer style even barleywines... The upper limit probably doesn't really matter... So long as the beer is not harsh and alcoholic.  I have medaled plenty of times with 14-15% barleywines dispite the guidelines stating 12% as the upper limit. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:01 am »
Sounds like a great candidate for Eisbock (if its in a keg)...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:49 am »
Even though the guidelines list a range, this comes right from the BJCP description:

While most traditional examples are in the ranges cited, the style can be considered to have no upper limit for gravity, alcohol and bitterness (thus providing a home for very strong lagers)

Technically Samichlaus is a dopplebock, so I don't think you have much to worry about as long as you beer isn't firewater.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:22 am »
Dopplebock too big?  I didn't think it was possible.

I don't know about drinking a liter of dopplebock.  Not these days at least.

Put it in a snifter and sit by the fire.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »
Got my recipe wrong 13.25 lbs dark LME, 3.35 lbs pilsner LME, and 2 pounds Caramunich, 1.5 oz Hallertauer at 60, then .5 oz Hallertauer at 30, then I pitched a big ass slurry of 34/70 from a pilsner and fermented for two months at 50F, then racked to cornie, chilled to 34 with CO2 applied for the last 5 months.  Bottled from keg last night.  It is highly drinkable and not at all hot, but the biggest lager I think I have ever had.

Snifter and a fire is good advice on this one... I just might have to get a Samiclaus to compare!  And I may not gift a lot of this away this year!

Here's to a happy holiday season!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »
If you can (and it's not easy), try to save some to see how it ages.  I guarantee it'll be way, way better in 6 months or a year. Been there, done that ! I remember a few kegs of Wee Heavy or RIS that I'd have loved to try after six more months that didn't make it. Enjoy !
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:44:27 pm »
If you can (and it's not easy), try to save some to see how it ages.  I guarantee it'll be way, way better in 6 months or a year. Been there, done that ! I remember a few kegs of Wee Heavy or RIS that I'd have loved to try after six more months that didn't make it. Enjoy !

I started doing 10 gallons of certain brews with the hopes that some would get saved to be aged.  I have not been particularly successful.  Maybe a couple bombers out of 10 gallons from last year.  Ive got 10 gallons of old ale finishing fermentation now.  I may take a gravity reading later, chill it, carb it and drink it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »

I started doing 10 gallons of certain brews with the hopes that some would get saved to be aged.  I have not been particularly successful.  Maybe a couple bombers out of 10 gallons from last year.  Ive got 10 gallons of old ale finishing fermentation now.  I may take a gravity reading later, chill it, carb it and drink it.

+1.  Just on blind-ass luck I found a couple bombers of a quad I made around 2 years ago.  I kegged it all except for 3 or 4 bombers, the last 2 of which got worked to the back of a beer fridge. 11% velvet raisiny, rummy goodness.  But I guarantee it wasn't by design those bombers made it that long !
Jon H.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:09:02 pm »
If you have to drink your doppelbock in a sniifter - 8 or 10 oz at a time - it's not a very good doppelbock.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »
You'll have to elaborate on that.

Why so?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:46 pm »
If you have to drink your doppelbock in a sniifter - 8 or 10 oz at a time - it's not a very good doppelbock.

Personally, I think this is one of those styles where there is a bit of a spectrum. I don't mind doppels on the big end that are sippers. But the smaller, classic dopplebocks are my preference - something like Celebrator that I could go for a second or third on.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »
You'll have to elaborate on that.

Why so?

I just think too many American versions are too boozy and not what I'm looking for in a doppelbock. The old adage was always "when you drink a doppelbock you don't feel the alcohol till you stand up". That's how I approach it when I brew one. I've had plenty of doppelbocks that tasted closer to  barley wines and just don't care for 'em.