Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dopplebock too big?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Dopplebock too big?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:04 pm »
You'll have to elaborate on that.

Why so?

I just think too many American versions are too boozy and not what I'm looking for in a doppelbock. The old adage was always "when you drink a doppelbock you don't feel the alcohol till you stand up". That's how I approach it when I brew one. I've had plenty of doppelbocks that tasted closer to  barley wines and just don't care for 'em.

Got it.

I'm a fan of Sam Adams double bock but I can see that as bigger than the classics like Celebratior or Salvator.

I personally prefer the bigger versions. I'm not going to drink more than two anyway after the kids are down.  But an 8 oz snifter is more appropriate for cognac or Armagnac.

In the case of the OP though once you've got the bigger beer you need to go with it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »
I bottled it in half liter bottles, so it is what it is. Happy to report that the beer is great regardless of booze level.  It is reasonably drinkable, but, yes, it is high in alcohol, all without a harsh tone.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:03 am »
You'll have to elaborate on that.

Why so?

I just think too many American versions are too boozy and not what I'm looking for in a doppelbock. The old adage was always "when you drink a doppelbock you don't feel the alcohol till you stand up". That's how I approach it when I brew one. I've had plenty of doppelbocks that tasted closer to  barley wines and just don't care for 'em.

My thoughts exactly. I stay on the 1.074 side of the range personally, but I do love that there is technically no upper limit.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article