Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop storage at the LHBS  (Read 8113 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop storage at the LHBS
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:47:16 am »
Centennial is one of the most consistent hops I've ever used.  Haven't gotten that from Simcoe either.  Thinking the warm storage could be the culprit.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 12:14:04 pm »
I wouldn't purchase hops not stored cold.  Nor would I purchase yeast not stored in a fridge.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

cornershot

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 12:47:56 pm »
I would think it would be an issue.  The only thing that may help is how they are sealed ( airtight, nitrogen flushed, etc).

I buy my hops in bulk from either www.nikobrew.com or www.hopsdirect.com and then store them in my freezer.  I'm not sure I'd go with hops stored at room temperature for months.
I think it's time to move toward buying my hops in bulk from suppliers like these. I assume they store their hops cold! :)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:32 pm »
I would discuss it with your LHBS... Maybe they honestly don't know any better.  If they do know and choose not to believe/care then I would shop elsewhere.  Honestly even if the reason is they can't afford a cooler I would shop elsewhere... at least for hops.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

cornershot

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:39:14 pm »
I would discuss it with your LHBS... Maybe they honestly don't know any better.  If they do know and choose not to believe/care then I would shop elsewhere.  Honestly even if the reason is they can't afford a cooler I would shop elsewhere... at least for hops.
I have mentioned it to him. He doesn't seem to think it's important enough to invest any money into. He's been absolutely awesome for the local brewing community and I want to support his business as much as I can but if it's gonna compromise the quality of my beer, that's where I gotta draw the line. Probably cheaper in the long run to buy several pounds at once...or more likely, I'll just end up tossing more hops in my beer. ;D

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 07:09:12 am »
I stopped by this store once and while I wasn't buying hops at the time it shocked me that they were not storing their hops in a refrigerator.  I would never buy hops from a HBS that didn't store their hops cold.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 08:05:06 am »
...or more likely, I'll just end up tossing more hops in my beer. ;D

Yeah I find it tough to not use the entire pound in an IPA once I open the bag. Lol
Frank

cornershot

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 09:22:02 am »
I stopped by this store once and while I wasn't buying hops at the time it shocked me that they were not storing their hops in a refrigerator.  I would never buy hops from a HBS that didn't store their hops cold.
So you know the store I speak of? For your location, can I assume your LHBS is Keystone Homebrew? The owner of my LHBS says he learned much of the business from your LHBS owner. Still much to learn, Grasshopper. Well, too late now. There's a bulk hop order in my near future. Should have some nice, fresh hops just in time to brew an IPA for War of the Worts.
 http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/mobile/default.aspx looks like they have a great selection and pretty good prices.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:24:22 am by Big Al »

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 09:39:11 am »
I might recommend Freshops as well if you don't want to buy full or even half pounds.  Whole hops only however. 

IMO, all LHBS should have hops in the cooler at a minimum.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »
So you know the store I speak of? For your location, can I assume your LHBS is Keystone Homebrew? The owner of my LHBS says he learned much of the business from your LHBS owner. Still much to learn, Grasshopper. Well, too late now. There's a bulk hop order in my near future. Should have some nice, fresh hops just in time to brew an IPA for War of the Worts.
 http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/mobile/default.aspx looks like they have a great selection and pretty good prices.

Yes, my LHBS is Keystone, but I usually buy my hops in bulk either from Freshops or Hopsdirect.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 01:10:47 pm »

+1 to yakimavalleyhops. Great selection, good prices.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 02:08:52 pm »
Yes, my LHBS is Keystone, but I usually buy my hops in bulk either from Freshops or Hopsdirect.

I know it's not buying local, but I do the same as you.  My hops come in bulk in the mail and I try to pick up the rest at the LHBS.  If I need specific hops or a small amount of something I don't have, I'll get a few ounces at the LHBS.

They must think I make beer with no hops.

If they care so little to store their hops warm, I'd find somewhere else to shop.  It makes me worried about what else their doing or not doing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »
When you buy Yakima hops you are buying local for a few of us

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 02:55:06 pm »
I have mentioned it to him. He doesn't seem to think it's important enough to invest any money into. He's been absolutely awesome for the local brewing community and I want to support his business as much as I can but if it's gonna compromise the quality of my beer, that's where I gotta draw the line. Probably cheaper in the long run to buy several pounds at once...or more likely, I'll just end up tossing more hops in my beer. ;D
My LHBS is very worthy of support also, but I don't buy hops from them for somewhat similar reasons.  I get some things from them, some from other vendors and I'm sure they know that many customers do this.  I think they do a really good job on the whole, and serve the beginning brewers moreso than us seasoned ones.  If they can run a successful business without doing everything the way I'd do it- so be it.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »
I feel very lucky that all 3 LHBS' that I have done business with all keep their hops refrigerated. 2 with small beverage style coolers with sliding doors and the third has that as well as a restaurant quality walk in cooler full of 1oz packs from Hop union of dozens of varieties. I'm new to brewing(6 batches) but I would not shop from a store that doesn't listen to a customer with concerns, no matter what the topic! Hats off to Listermann's, Paradise, and The Grape and Granary!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)