Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pearl 2-row  (Read 1354 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Pearl 2-row
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:49 am »
I just picked a sack of Pearl 2-row Pale up from the LHBS for $39. I've never had grain so cheap. :D It was sold to me as Weyermann but says Muntons on the bag. So I'm assuming this grain is British 2-row. My intention was to brew and investigate the Weyermann and really didn't snap to what had been purchased until this AM.

Anyone brew with this grain? I've had good results with Muntons in the past but really wondering if I should take it back to the LHBS.

FWIW they also sold me 10' of vinyl 3/8 tubing instead of the bevlex I wanted. Which I needed anyway, but need new beer line even more. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Pearl 2-row
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »
I don't have any experience with Pearl or Munton's that I know of (the LHBS grains are usually unlabeled).

But DAMN euge, did they get anything right in your order? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
I get Munton's Pearl from my local brewpub.  I find that it's aroma and flavor more consistent than the munton's Maris Otter.  The beer clarity is good and I consistently get > 80% efficiency.  Unless you want to go to an Optic or Halcyon (and spend the extra $), It's just a great base malt.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »
LOL I walked away with 100% wrong stuff.

The MO and Golden Promise have been decent grain in the past. Not earth shattering but then again I've converted over to a no-sparge system and even Briess 2-row has been tasty.

I'll stick with the Pearl then and whup up some brew.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:19 am »
euge

how was the pearl malt? I have some friends that want to collaborate on a heady topper clone, and they want to get the exact ingredients, but pearl is a special order versus the maris otter i already have in house.

just wondering if it really is a different flavor than maris otter?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:56:33 am »
Wow that was a long time ago... IIRC it was just fine but not remarkable. I'd stick to the MO if you got it.