Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How about an Oatmeal Stout recipe?  (Read 6925 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
How about an Oatmeal Stout recipe?
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
An oldie...but a goodie.

Anyone want to share their tips, tricks, secrets :) or recipes for an Oatmeal Stout.

Don't be shy. :)

Ron Price

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How about an Oatmeal Stout recipe?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:57:51 am »
I prefer my stouts to have a very smooth, more subdued roasted quality than is probably advised. I minimize roasted barley and use more pale chocolate and midnight wheat to get a smoother quality. I also like to split the flaked oats and toast half of them.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:23 am »

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:56 am »
I have been tinkering with an American style oatmeal stout sort of in the shakespeare vein.  My last run included 5% golden naked oats and 10% flaked oats.

+1 on toasting some of them.

i personally like my stout to have a significant bite to it - not quite like espresso but not subtle either, so i'm on the other side of the field to goschman - i use a huge amount of roasted barley.  I also try to target 5.3-5.4 mash pH, so a good dose of lime is incorporated.   
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:38:54 pm »
+1 to lightly toasting the oats. I like the flavor contribution quite a bit.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »
BN just posted a Brewing with Style on oatmeal stout. Listened to it while doing the dishes. Give it a listen, unless that is why your brought it up. Haven't made one in years. I will need to add it to the schedule.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 01:45:59 pm »
What about the contention that Michael Lewis makes in his book, Stout, where he said that oats were not a good contributor? I recall that he said the beer was rough or astringent, or something like that.

I don't understand how oats could impart that sort of flavor to beer since they don't seem to have that flavor in oatmeal. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:05:54 pm »
What about the contention that Michael Lewis makes in his book, Stout, where he said that oats were not a good contributor? I recall that he said the beer was rough or astringent, or something like that.

I don't understand how oats could impart that sort of flavor to beer since they don't seem to have that flavor in oatmeal. 

Martin, I limit oats to ~ 10% at most in oatmeal stout.  But I love the silky,velvety mouthfeel they give a good stout. But I agree that they don't give a direct flavor, and that's why I like to lightly toast them. It doesn't add the flavor of oats per se, but a light, subtle toastiness. I feel that Sam Smith's is doing something right !    :)
Jon H.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 10:44:20 am »
+1 on toasting some of them.

I like this idea. I might try this...
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:47:42 am »

Interesting opinion here Martin.

I've always thought oats provided a sort of mouthfeel effect more so than a flavor effect. Maybe toasting them would lend some flavor?
Ron Price

Offline kgs

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 06:12:29 am »

Interesting opinion here Martin.

I've always thought oats provided a sort of mouthfeel effect more so than a flavor effect. Maybe toasting them would lend some flavor?

Having done it both ways, I agree that lightly toasting the oats brings out the flavor. I also buy the freshest oatmeal I can find, usually from a cooperative grocery store where the oatmeal smells and tastes very fresh. My last couple of stouts I have also added cocoa nibs and cold-brewed coffee -- very nice.

I've thought of going bigger, like an Oatis or Shakespeare, but the lower-alcohol stouts have their charm. I use McQuaker's Oatmeal Stout from Brewing Classic Styles. Edit: having recently done a coconut porter that was delicious, I'm going to do the same with a stout, using lightly toasted organic coconut (large shred), and add chocolate nibs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:44:59 am by kgs »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:17:01 am »

This is what I use oatmeal for. Personally, I don't like the toasted oats taste in a beer. I don't like Sam Sniths oatmeal stout because of this flavor. (According to another thread, I shouldn't be trusted
Frank

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:21 am »

This is what I use oatmeal for. Personally, I don't like the toasted oats taste in a beer. I don't like Sam Sniths oatmeal stout because of this flavor. (According to another thread, I shouldn't be trusted

Interesting opinion...can you describe the flavor that you don't like from the toasted oats.

Is the flavor overwhelming?

How did you toast the oats, and to what level/color did you toast them?
Ron Price

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 01:24:56 pm »

Interesting opinion...can you describe the flavor that you don't like from the toasted oats.

Is the flavor overwhelming?

How did you toast the oats, and to what level/color did you toast them?

I've never used toasted oats myself. I like most oatmeal stouts... Samuel Smith is the exception. The toasted flavor in that beer is very overwhelming to me and doesn't work for me. Obviously many a people put that beer on a pedestal, which is perfectly fine... It just doesn't do it for me.

Here's my breakfast stout recipe...

Batch = 5.5 gallons
OG = 1.078

24 hour cold steep (room temperature) in 2 gallons of water (2 quarts per pound)
Chocolate Malt = 2 lb
Roasted Barley = 1.5 lb
Black Patent Malt = .5 lb

60 minute mash @ 155
Mash Water = 5 gallons (Strike Temp 173)
Sparge Water = 3 gallons (185)
Total Water = 10 gallons

80% Two Row Pale = 12 lb 6 oz
18% Flaked Oats = 3 lb 4 oz
2% Caramel/Crystal 120L = 5.5 oz

60 minute = 1.5 oz Nugget
30 minute = .5 oz Willamette
20 minute = Add the 2 gallons of dark grain tea from cold steep (return to boil to start 20 count)
0 minute = .5 oz Willamette
0 minute = 2.5 oz ground Sumatran coffee
0 minute = 2.5 oz Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
0 minute = 1.5 oz Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder

White Labs 001 California Ale Ale (Starter)

Rack onto 2.5 oz of ground Kona coffee in the secondary

****The coffee was a bit strong. I think I'm going to cut it to 1.75 or 2 oz additions****
Frank