Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How about an Oatmeal Stout recipe?  (Read 6933 times)

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
Re: How about an Oatmeal Stout recipe?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 10:35:44 am »
I prefer my stouts to have a very smooth, more subdued roasted quality than is probably advised. I minimize roasted barley and use more pale chocolate and midnight wheat to get a smoother quality. I also like to split the flaked oats and toast half of them.

+1 to Midnight Wheat.  Recently started putting it in my oatmeal stout in place of black roast and I love the results.  Extra smooth.  The lower roast has also turned it into a gateway beer for friends that "don't like dark beer."
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:51 am »
I've always thought oats provided a sort of mouthfeel effect more so than a flavor effect. Maybe toasting them would lend some flavor?

This is what I use oatmeal for. Personally, I don't like the toasted oats taste in a beer. I don't like Sam Sniths oatmeal stout because of this flavor. (According to another thread, I shouldn't be trusted
Blasphemy!
Jesse

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:40:34 am »
An interesting tidbit that I stumbled upon was the addition of brewers licorice to an Oatmeal Stout. Anyone else ever try this addition to a beer recipe?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/OatmealStout
Ron Price

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »
An interesting tidbit that I stumbled upon was the addition of brewers licorice to an Oatmeal Stout. Anyone else ever try this addition to a beer recipe?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/OatmealStout

I've used dried licorice root in an oatmeal stout before, but never had tried the brewers stick.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
I remember some of the old recipe books (that were spotty at best) having RIS recipes that used brewers licorice. I never tried it because I hate licorice, and a little too much would've given me 5 gallons I wouldn't drink. I have had a few strong stouts that seemed to have a hint of that type of flavor though that were really good beers.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 05:02:05 pm »
I get a hint of black licorice from dry hopped EKGs. I think I'd rather go that route than real licorice. I'm not a huge fan of anise in anything beyond small amounts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 12:29:50 am »
I've only made one oatmeal Stout- it was off second runnings from an American Stout and OG wasn't high  enough so I just called an oatmeal Porter- it was good though. I believe JZ roasts his oatmeal for his recipe. Another recipe that I've seen and looks good is from Jason "JP" Petros and it's available on Brewtoad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:41 pm »
I've always thought oats provided a sort of mouthfeel effect more so than a flavor effect. Maybe toasting them would lend some flavor?

This is what I use oatmeal for. Personally, I don't like the toasted oats taste in a beer. I don't like Sam Sniths oatmeal stout because of this flavor. (According to another thread, I shouldn't be trusted

Interesting opinion...can you describe the flavor that you don't like from the toasted oats.

Is the flavor overwhelming?

How did you toast the oats, and to what level/color did you toast them?

I've never used toasted oats myself. I like most oatmeal stouts... Samuel Smith is the exception. The toasted flavor in that beer is very overwhelming to me and doesn't work for me. Obviously many a people put that beer on a pedestal, which is perfectly fine... It just doesn't do it for me.

Here's my breakfast stout recipe...

Batch = 5.5 gallons
OG = 1.078

24 hour cold steep (room temperature) in 2 gallons of water (2 quarts per pound)
Chocolate Malt = 2 lb
Roasted Barley = 1.5 lb
Black Patent Malt = .5 lb

60 minute mash @ 155
Mash Water = 5 gallons (Strike Temp 173)
Sparge Water = 3 gallons (185)
Total Water = 10 gallons

80% Two Row Pale = 12 lb 6 oz
18% Flaked Oats = 3 lb 4 oz
2% Caramel/Crystal 120L = 5.5 oz

60 minute = 1.5 oz Nugget
30 minute = .5 oz Willamette
20 minute = Add the 2 gallons of dark grain tea from cold steep (return to boil to start 20 count)
0 minute = .5 oz Willamette
0 minute = 2.5 oz ground Sumatran coffee
0 minute = 2.5 oz Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
0 minute = 1.5 oz Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder

White Labs 001 California Ale Ale (Starter)

Rack onto 2.5 oz of ground Kona coffee in the secondary

****The coffee was a bit strong. I think I'm going to cut it to 1.75 or 2 oz additions****

I used this cold steep process on my last stout.  Turn out a really nice smooth bitterness, not astringent.  I've never used coffee, cocoa or chocolate.