Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB Natural Bags?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
BIAB Natural Bags?
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:26 pm »
I've been doing BIAB for about 2 years now.  I've been using the nylon bags from LHBS, which claim they are food safe, and I believe they are.. I'm just curious if there is anything out there that isn't nylon, synthetic, and/or plastic..  I've seen organic hop bags on organic brew sites, but they aren't big enough for my grain nor am I sure they'd be the proper strength for a 15lb bag of wet grain.

Have any other BIABers out there tried looking into natural organic brew bags, or know of a site to find them? I'd be OK with making my own, I just don't know where or what type of mesh fabric/material I'd need.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BIAB Natural Bags?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:53 pm »
Unbleached, fair trade, organic, cotton pillow cases?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:16:35 pm »
Know anyone who sews? Make your own out of voile. I have a voile bag that my mom made me that I used for the occasional brew in a bag and it works great.
Jesse

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
Know anyone who sews? Make your own out of voile. I have a voile bag that my mom made me that I used for the occasional brew in a bag and it works great.

Are pillow cases and voile porous enough to get the job done?  This is something I'd like to look into..Like I mentioned I've only used the nylon bags, and there are obvious gaps in the mesh on those...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:39:42 pm »

Are pillow cases and voile porous enough to get the job done?  This is something I'd like to look into..Like I mentioned I've only used the nylon bags, and there are obvious gaps in the mesh on those...

Loose weave muslin?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
Voile is actually the material of choice for custom BIAB bags. The finer the mesh the better. You don't want any husk material passing through. Getting a custom bag through www.bagbrewer.com was a big improvement over the nylon bags I was using.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:51:44 am »
A pillow case would be too fine. I've read about guys having terrible times when they've tried it. Get the voile!
Jesse

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:41:09 am »
Thanks, voile looks like the best option.  One quick google resulted in a ton of organic cotton voile for sale by the yard.  Now I need to learn to sew.... Thanks guys