Author Topic: Brewer Bio - Jeremy Baker  (Read 484 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio - Jeremy Baker
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
I've been a on this board and an AHA member for 2 1/2 years and I'm finally getting around to posting my bio. 

Who Are You: Jeremy Baker

(please include a picture):

Home Town (City, State): Centennial, CO

Homebrew Club:  Not part of one yet.  Recently discovered a few people in my neighborhood brew and we are talking about putting our own neighborhood club together and recruit more neighbors. 

I've been a homebrewer since: October 2011

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Haven't had any major disasters yet (and watch, I'll probably have one my next brew session!), but I have had a few "what was I thinking moments" such as not paying close attention to my sparge water amount and ended up with about 3/4 gallon more wort than I intended.  I didn't discover this mistake until the wort was in the fermenter.  It was an amber that eventually fermented out to be quite sessionable.

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?  I guess I would say Pale Ales and IPAs as I always try to keep at least one of these on taps.  I have a nitro set up so I brew a few different Milk Stouts such as a Coconut Milk Stout, Gingerbread Milk Stouts and planning to brew up a Chai Milk Stout.

What style(s) will you never brew?  Not sure if there is a style that I will never brew.  If you asked me this questions last year, I would have said Sours, but I'm starting to really like sour beers and my curiosity to brew sours is growing by the day.

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?  My first beer was a Brown extract kit from my LHBS (The Brew Hut) and it turned out bad.  The main reason was I really didn't pay too close attention to the fermentation temps, which reached 80 degrees using Windsor yeast.  It was after that first taste that I found the AHA website and forum and started doing my research.  I couldn't wait to start my next batch and with advise from AHA forum members, my next beer turned out great!

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?  Unfortunately, no.  I've made a few mistakes and the results were OK but definitely not great.  One of my Pineapple Wheat beers just had too much pineapple and the beer was really tart (hey, maybe this was my first sour :D).  Everyone else seemed to like it, but I'm my biggest critic and it definitely got a failing grade.

What is your favorite beer recipe?  Not sure if I have a favorite, as I'm always tinkering with my recipes and I don't think I've brewed the same recipe twice. 

Are you a BJCP Judge? If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?  Not a judge yet, but starting to look into it.  It would be great to help out in local competitions and I'm sure it would help me become an overall better brewer.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc: It's by no means fancy, but my favorite gadget would be my "Hoppa," which is similar to a hop spider but instead of using "legs" to keep it in the middle of the kettle, it hangs on the side and allows me to still use my immersion chiller without having to remove the hops strainer.  It's basically a regular hop spider but with a 2-pronged towel hook instead of the carraige bolt "legs"

Describe your brew system:  My system is a basic cooler (Blue!) mash tun system.  I use a 48qt Coleman cooler with stainless steel braid connected to a ball valve.  I use a Blichmann floor burner w/ leg extensions and an 8 gallon.  With my kettle, I removed the thermometer and installed another ball valve that I use as the return for my whirlpool.  For the whirlpool, I have a chugger pump with the stainless head.  I mainly brew 3 gallon systems, so if it's cold outside, then I can easily brew inside on the kitchen stove.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  What I love about brewing 3 gallon batches is that I get to brew and experiment more often.  I brew 2-4 times a month. 

What is your favorite malt? 2-Row and Maris Otter.  I recently changed most of my all 2-row bases to a 50/50 split of 2-row and Maris Otter and really like the results. 

What is your favorite hop? Why?  I would say Cascade since I use it in a lot of my beers.  Anytime I've taken a recipe that I have Cascade in it and change it to a different variety, I always seem to end up coming back to Cascade.  I also really like Chinook and have really liked using them as first wort hops in my IPAs and Pale Ales.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?  US-05 and Wyeast 1056.  I always have a few packets of US-05 on hand and I've always got some 1056 in the fridge.  I recently started making 1056 starters that were 500ml larger than what is required and saving that extra 500ml for the next brew.  When it comes time to brew again, I take that saved 500ml and make another starter that's 500ml more than I need.  Save the 500ml and the cycle continues.  I've done this for about 7 brews now and have yet to notice any difference from that first 1056 starter.  I really like how consistent and clean the fermentations are with US-05 and 1056.

Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? Not yet.

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?  Probably "What have you gained from the AHA and the AHA Forum?" would be a good question.  The answer would be an easy one.  I've learned so much from the AHA website, the Zymurgy publication and of course the awesome brewers that post on the forum.  My passion for homebrewing continues to grow and it's your fault!

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?  I would say comedian Mitch Hedberg.  When I first met my wife, one of our first dates was to a comedy show that had Dave Attell, Louis Black and Mitch Hedberg.  Mitch was by far the funniest comedian on stage that night and he instantly became our favorite comedian.  Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago, but he would definitely be a great person to share a few beers with!

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?  Nothing too crazy yet.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?  No, but as a fan of Avery beers, if my wife and I have another girl then I just may push to name her Avery...or at least name the next dog Avery.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? I've only entered one competition and that was with the 3rd beer I ever brewed.  It was an American Pale Ale that won 3rd place in what was called the "Yellow Category" which included Pilsners, Pale Ales, Steams, etc... My goal is to enter more competitions next year to get more feedback on my beers.

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?  I mostly brew alone, but every now and then my wife and 4-yr-old daughter will help out.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outdoors when the weather is nice and indoors when it's too cold outside.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?  I'm a big Alabama football fan, so when Bama beat LSU in the 2012 National Championship game, I named my next beer "21 - Zereaux Pale Ale" which happened to be the beer I entered into my LHBS competition mentioned above!  Even my LSU friends like this beer...the taste not the name!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio - Jeremy Baker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »
Cool man.  Except the Alabama fan part... ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
I like the hop hanger. You should post up a couple how to pics.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
Like the "21 -Zereaux Pale Ale " - gave me a chuckle !
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
Paul - I knew I'd catch some flak for being a Bama fan!

Jim - I'll put something together and post in Pimp My System.  It's real cheap and easy to make and works great. 

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
Like the "21 -Zereaux Pale Ale " - gave me a chuckle !

that is funny!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281