General Category > Ingredients

Can't really use for brewing, but can I save my faucets?

(1/2) > >>

Moved into a new house across the state line and recently got my water report back. Ugh.

pH 9.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 354
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.59
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.8/6.7
Sodium, Na 65
Potassium, K 6
Calcium, Ca 25
Magnesium, Mg 18
Total Hardness, CaCO3 138
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.3 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 68 (*3 = 204ppm SO4)
Chloride, Cl 25
Carbonate, CO3 22
Bicarbonate, HCO3 60
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 86

Based on this, I have given up using it for brewing due to the ridiculous sulfate and hardness levels. I'm moving to RO water in the new place. (Or can it be salvaged?) But what can I do to save my faucets? I'm already having issues with build up on my shower heads and the kitchen sink sprayer quit working once so far due to caked on crap.  :(

From my initial research, it looks like some sort of ion exchange sulfate removal system coupled with a standard water softener is in order, but I can't seem to find one in the retail world. Help? Anyone else have this problem?

That does' look all that bad, from my perspective, but the pH is higher than mine. Get a water softener for the house. You want to drain 5 gallons from the water heater per quarter to get the minerals out of the bottom. You can take the aerators off of the faucets and soak in CLR if it gets bad. You can see if the shower head and sink sprayer are removable and do the same. I had to do the sink aerators after 13 years.

Steve in TX:
You could put carbon filters on all of the faucets. They also make shower head carbon filters.

What if I wanted to nuke it and go with a whole house solution?

Steve in TX:
Water softener would help the faucets and other plumbing fixtures, but is unusable in brewing. In college I lived in a house with a softener, and the hose bibs were not hooked up to the softener. Not sure if that is common practice.

Whole house RO would be expensive. Plus, I hear home RO systems are very wasteful. Something to do with the rinsing of the membrane and the pressure of the water going through the membrane. I think 10+ gallons are wasted for every 1 gallon treated. Supposedly big RO vending machines are less wasteful since they operate at high pressure.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version