General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

a great brew day with new kolsch recipe

(1/2) > >>

wort-h.o.g.:
Spend the last 4 hours brewing up a kolsch recipe i modified. i used northern brewer's german kolsch malt by schill. its a touch darker at 4.5 lov however im curious in how it tastes.  i will say i got some serious sugar out of it...first runnings were 1.090 and my target pre-boil gravity was 1.036 for 8 gals and i hit 1.040 and 8.5 gals.

anyway it was a great day where it all came together as planned - PH, mash temp, etc. ;D

its definitely darker than my normal kolsch - anyone ever use this malt?

goschman:
Sounds awesome! I plan on doing my first kolsch next week. I don't think I can find "Kolsch malt" so I will be going mainly with pilsner with some vienna and wheat...

wort-h.o.g.:

--- Quote from: goschman on December 19, 2013, 12:38:44 PM ---Sounds awesome! I plan on doing my first kolsch next week. I don't think I can find "Kolsch malt" so I will be going mainly with pilsner with some vienna and wheat...

--- End quote ---

pilsner and vienna is a good recipe. this is my first time using the kolsch malt  -we shall see.

alestateyall:
I have a Kolsch with that malt in the fermenter right now. A friend of mine swears by it. He has won several awards for Munich Helles with the Kolsch malt as his "secret" ingredient.

wort-h.o.g.:
yes iam curious to the notcieable differnces the kolsch malt will add ( beside obvious color).

side note - i did use wlp029 with  starter that i jump started with some of the kolsch mash wort a few hours before pitching into my kolsch, and it started quite nicely pitched at 58F (WL says it recommends 62F min.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version