Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ft. Collins for the holidays  (Read 4945 times)

cornershot

Ft. Collins for the holidays
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »
I'll be spending the holidays with family in Ft. Collins, Co. I won't have time to check out the whole beer scene but I'd like to make the most of my time there. New Belgium is definitely on the list. What other places do I need to see/avoid? What else do I need to know? Thanks!

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
Re: Ft. Collins for the holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:15 pm »
In order... Equinox Brewing, Odell's Brewing and Funkwerks. If you go to Equinox, next door is the homebrew shop, Hops and Berries. That's where I work.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:19 pm »
There is also Pateros Creek, which specializes mostly in British-style session beers and Black Bottle, though I haven't been to that one since their grand opening. They were "okay" at the time. Other local bars with good beer selections are the "Tap and Handle" and "The Mayor of Old Town". They don't brew, but they'll have a lot of the FoCo beers as well as those from all over Colorado (and the world).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
Odell's, Equinox. Liked them best, but you do have to see New Belgium. Try and get a tour reservation at NB.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:46:40 pm »
I was thinking to get the most out of a short amount of time new belgium, odell's, funkwerks and equinox are all close together. Trying to hit all of the breweries and beer bars in Fort Collins would take a couple of days. Lots of options.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:17 pm »
For beer bars, try the Mayor of Old Town and Choice City Deli (home of the Colorado Buffalo Reuben).
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

cornershot

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll likely have no more than 2 days to explore, so if I can hit NB, Odell's, funkwerks, and equinox in one day, that would be....well, a great day! I'll make sure I swing by Hops and Berries too. Pateros creek sounds good too. I like me some British session beers! Do I need to reserve very early to get a tour at NB?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »
If you have two days, maybe take the 35 minute drive down to Longmont and visit Left Hand and Oskar Blues one day. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

cornershot

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »
My brother just moved from Longmont to Ft. Collins. So I've been to Left Hand. I'd love to go back but I'm not sure it's in the cards.
To answer my own question, New Belgium tours are booked well into the future.

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »
There's also a Burger place walking distance from Equinox called Big Al's Burgers and Dogs

cornershot

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 05:21:01 pm »
There's also a Burger place walking distance from Equinox called Big Al's Burgers and Dogs
Nice!!! I love Ft. Collins already!

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:10 am »
Yeah, the only reason I mention the bars is that depending on the day most of the places will close between 6-9 pm, so they aren't great for staying out late. I almost forgot Coopersmith's, they're a brewpub the next block down from Equinox and a good place to grab some food. Their Albert Damm Bitter and an order of banger's and mash is a good meal.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:48 am »
Seems like everyone has covered it but I would have to +1 to Equinox, Odell and Funkwerks and of course NB.  Lots of options.  Have fun....for sure a great beer town.  Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

cornershot

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:47 am »
Looks like my AHA member card will come in handy.
My bro has mentioned that some of his friends, whom do not brew, have AHA memberships just for the member deals!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
We got to Equinox, Odell, and Funkwerks in an afternoon and were back for dinner.

Let this be thy guide. Hours and everything all in one place.
http://www.fortcollinsbreweryguide.com/
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958