Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Lord of the Rings fans here?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Any Lord of the Rings fans here?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:30 am »
Watched it yesterday and enjoyed the flick. I'd be quite confused if not aware of the editorial splicing to pad out the storyline. For instance, I don't remember them meeting the brown wizard. Or the side story of the vendetta between Thrain and the orc  leader.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 09:39:01 am »
Yeah, Radragast was an off-hand mention in the book that they expanded into a tie in for the Lord of The Rings Series.  Trying to show the expanding dark powers and all so that it ties in to the overall theme.  They mention "The Necromancer" in the book once which I've always assumed is a reference to Sauron but they've really expanded it. Plus I didn't think he needed that much bird sh!t in his hair.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Any Lord of the Rings fans here?
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 07:33:19 am »
I didn't mind the embellishments on the story in the movies but between Rhadaghast being a dope smoking idiot with bird crap caked on his head and Gimily shown as a belching drunken foolish comedy side kick I just couldn't forgive that. But I enjoyed all of them thus far anyway (with Two Towers being my least favorite) and glad I read the book first.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:16 am »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:51 am »
My wife and I watched it this weekend. I'm a huge fan of the trilogy books and movies but never read the hobbit so I can't comment on the relationship between the book and the movie. As far as the movie goes, I thought it was worth a rent. I wasn't so keen on the fighting mountains but liked the movie overall. Kinda neat to see Saruman talking with Gandlalf, Galadriel, and Elrond telling him that Sauron has been defeated and cannot come back. Little foreshadowing there.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 10:14:46 am »
Part 2. Smaug.

We went to see the second movie on Friday. 
I enjoyed it; loved the 3D. Some of the continuous fighting got a little old.

Smaug was impressive, as were the orcs.
Rhadaghast again shows up with a pile of birds on his head, and seems silly where they inserted him.
I liked the woodland elf gal... I forget her name. But she was hot and kicked serious a$$.

I don't know how they will make up enough material for a third.

Anybody else see it?