General Category > Ingredients

Coffee = Infection?

(1/3) > >>

fmader:
I brewed a breakfast stout many months ago. Over tine, it developed an infection. I racked onto 2.5 oz of coffee grain in the secondary. Could this coffee addition caused the infection? If so, could I soak the coffee in a couple ounces of vodka to prevent it from happening again?

duboman:
I would say yes, it's possible. Those I know that use coffee cold steep the beans for a few days, strain and use the liquid to infuse into the beer with great success

fmader:

--- Quote from: duboman on December 19, 2013, 06:14:28 PM ---I would say yes, it's possible. Those I know that use coffee cold steep the beans for a few days, strain and use the liquid to infuse into the beer with great success

--- End quote ---

I thought about doing this, but wouldn't the bacteria spill over into the water that the coffee is being steeped in?

HoosierBrew:
I've used coffee beans in a muslin bag added to secondary several times and not had infection. That doesn't mean it's not possible though.

fmader:

--- Quote from: HoosierBrew on December 19, 2013, 06:23:11 PM ---I've used coffee beans in a muslin bag added to secondary several times and not had infection. That doesn't mean it's not possible though.

--- End quote ---

Jon, I used ground coffee... Do you get the same flavor effect with whole beans?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version