Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cloudy StarSan  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Cloudy StarSan
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:20:22 am »
Sometimes when I mix this up it gets a milky whit cloudiness to it. anyone know why?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cloudy StarSan
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:32:36 am »
I believe it's reacting with hard water, particularly magnesium or iron. There is a Brewing Network show with someone from 5 Star. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/469
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:53:25 am »
Yeah I get this too. When I mix it up for a spray bottle I only use distilled water so I'll know any cloudiness isn't from my hard water.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:13 am »
I've had this same cloudiness clear up after a couple hours of sitting out. Sometimes my starsan mix will cloud up the second its mixed up to use.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:55:36 pm »
I've been running into this problem lately- even though the water is RO.

But the starsan is about 6 years old and has cracked caps. Also the starsan has grown darker instead of the clear syrup it once was.

Barely any left so I'm just discarding any solution that's left after a brew session.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:00 am »

But the starsan is about 6 years old and has cracked caps. Also the starsan has grown darker instead of the clear syrup it once was.

Barely any left so I'm just discarding any solution that's left after a brew session.

My experience went the other way.  I've noticed that my water gets cloudy more often now that I've used up my old bottle with the cracked cap (did you drop yours too?) and moved to a new bottle.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »
I believe it's reacting with hard water, particularly magnesium or iron. There is a Brewing Network show with someone from 5 Star. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/469
This is the reason.
Use RO water when mixing your star San.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:22 pm »

I contacted 5-star to ask them what to do when my cap broke (it was worse than a crack).  They sent me a half dozen new ones, never asked for anything in return.  Now I save the caps from the old bottles so I always have a few around just in case.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »

I contacted 5-star to ask them what to do when my cap broke (it was worse than a crack).  They sent me a half dozen new ones, never asked for anything in return.  Now I save the caps from the old bottles so I always have a few around just in case.
Caps on 1 gallon Star San do not crack :)
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »
I think the cracks come from screwing the caps on too tight for the strength of the plastic, and possibly the starsan might weaken the cap some.

Just checked some solution made a couple days ago. Crystal clear but I have been discarding quite a bit instead of reusing it. Honestly, starsan seems to work as well fresh or when it is murky or has bugs floating in the solution. Wonderful stuff.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 12:36:50 pm »

I replaced mine with a soda bottle cap.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »

I replaced mine with a soda bottle cap.
I should have thought of that - I just tried it, and while it's a rough fit it seems to work well enough.
Tom Schmidlin