Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Full Body mash temp?  (Read 6162 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Full Body mash temp?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 08:00:52 am »
The change in fermentability w/ change in mash temp is highly dependent on your base malt.

IME I haven't been able to significantly reduce fermentability (via high mash temp) on beers made with an American 2-row base. The DP is off the charts. Its bread to produce extremely fermentable worts, even with rice and corn.

Moral of the story - for various grists, don't expect the same change in fermentability with the same change in mash temp. Don't just select a "Mash Profile" in Beer Smith and move on - dive into the mash procedure, make sure you're temps, thickness, volumes, etc. are consistent. I don't even use the "Mash Profile" option for this reason.

Well maybe this is the route to explore.  I've assumed that the increase in mouthfeel/viscosity/whatever of the old world grains have been because of more beta-glucans, but I wonder if this is a contributor as well.

What base malts would be less fermentable producing chewier beers?

Grain is my 'final frontier' in that I think I have a fairly good handle on the other ingredients and processes of brewing, but not grain.  Can't wait for the Grain book in the Water, Yeast, Hops series.

The Malt book is on my list too. Had to look for this link. It should help with grain selection, and thinking on mashing those grains.
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/bmg/noonan.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 09:16:06 am »
Thanks Jeff!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:09:14 am »
Thanks Kyle, I may make MO my new 2-row.
You should also consider Golden Promise.

This is the beauty of SMaSH beers. You can really get to know your base malt.

I still think American 2-Row Pale Malt has a firm place in the home brewery. Consistent from year to year. always fresh from the LHBS. Flavor profile associated with benchmark brands for American styles (i.e. SNPA).

In most cases, the extra diastatic power is desired. No worries about full conversion with high-adjunct grists or reduced rest time. It also builds in some forgiveness for poor/inconsistent process, equipment setup, or temp control - especially helpful for new AG brewers.

Has anyone completely gone away from American 2-row? Maybe this is a good Charlie Survey question.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/