Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP / Sensory Question - DMS = noble hops?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
BJCP / Sensory Question - DMS = noble hops?
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »
I am a relatively new BJCP judge, and have judged about a half dozen competitions.  I have had a few instances where I have perceived DMS when the other judges haven't. 

We recently carbed up 3 versions of a 1.080 or so RIS (naked, oak-aged, bourbon oak aged) and I perceive DMS in all of them, particularly when its served on the cold side.  Once its warmed a bit, I get an amazing symphony of bready malt, baker's chocolate, light roast, warming, and some hop flavor. 

I honestly have no idea how this beer could have had DMS.  100 minute boil, in-line therminator, cold pitched US-05, fermented at 66, temp raised to 68 after a week, then 70 for the remainder.  We used magnum to bitter to about 40 IBU, then got the remaining IBU's (total of 80, calculated) from Green Bullet hops, which I'm told are somewhat like Fuggles or EKG, especially when used late.  I am confident in our cleanliness, hot and cold-side processes.  We ferment in a 1/2 bbl stainless steel conical, in a dual-stage temp controlled fridge. 

Any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:34:54 pm by mpietropaoli »
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BJCP / Sensory Question - DMS = noble hops?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:32 pm »
I'm no beer judge, but were the hops possibly old and a bit stale?  I have had Magnum give a noticeable vegetal flavor in light lagers when they were stored a bit too long.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
You say recently carbed. Are you sure you are not tasting yeast? I always taste yeast in my recently carbed beers. Yeast tastes more like a vitamin than corn. But when mixed with many other flavors it can get confusing. I know I have confused yeast, DMS, and Diacetyl.

PS. I am not a BJCP judge.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
You are likely mistaking something else for DMS.  Perhaps it is just a very fresh grainy flavor.  If so it likely mellows with age.  DMS tastes distinctly like corn, cabbage, celery or broccoli.  It should be pretty obvious to good judges if it is there, although some people are hypersensitive and some not at all.  If no one else can taste it though then my guess is you might be mistaking it for something else.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:01:44 am »
I've got a pretty good palate/nose, but I think it would take a ton of DMS for me to detect it in a big stout.

Someone (else) should open a bottle of Rasputin and start adding Rolling Rock until they notice it and report back.   ;D

seriously though, it seems like this has to be something else.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:28 am »
You are likely mistaking something else for DMS.  Perhaps it is just a very fresh grainy flavor.  If so it likely mellows with age.  DMS tastes distinctly like corn, cabbage, celery or broccoli.  It should be pretty obvious to good judges if it is there, although some people are hypersensitive and some not at all.  If no one else can taste it though then my guess is you might be mistaking it for something else.

I agree with Dave here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:31:46 am »
I'll go with either fresh grains or oxidated hops maybe. In something like a RIS oxidation may not be clearly detectable as wet paper, but that flavor may combine with some of the other complexities to give the impression of something like cabbage.

As far as the fresh grains thing goes, any chance this was underattenuated? Sometimes I get a cooked broth flavor from wort that could be mistaken for DMS I suppose. Just grasping at straws here, though.

My suggestion would be to sit down side-by-side with another person (or people) whose palate you trust and talk through exactly what nuances you're picking up in as descriptive a manner as possible. I.e., not "I get some DMS", but "I'm picking up a cooked cabbage note right in the middle of the palate after the initial sweetness starts to fade" or something to that effect. Maybe they can get a better sense of what you're picking up and can help you pinpoint exactly what it is. Try to find a woman, as their palates are more sensitive than men in general.

And it could just be that you are hyper-sensitive to DMS. As the beers warm up the other flavors increase to the point where they far surpass the miniscule amounts of DMS you may be getting.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:06:33 pm »
Great, thanks forth replies all.  Honestly, I only really perceive it when it's first poured. Then as it warms and degasses a bit,this beer is a dream.  Probably need to do some live tasting with some good fellow judges to see what I'm perceiving...
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles