Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I can't fiqure out where this sediment came from  (Read 1621 times)

Offline yeastinfection

• 1st Kit
I can't fiqure out where this sediment came from
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:41:12 am »
Last month I kegged a Belgian Dubbel. It sat in the keg laggering for a little over a month. Then I pulled about 10-12 glasses from it for immediate consumption. The beer tastes great and, after the first 1 or two, was very clear.
Then I bottled the rest directly from the keg. After the bottles sat for an hour or two, I saw a layer of sediment in all of the bottles.
The keg had not moved the slightest bit in over a month, including during bottling. I did not add anything post fermentation (extra yeast, dry hops, etc...), all bottles were clean.
The sediment was in all bottles, not the first few, not most. Every bottle has (approximately) the same amount of sediment.
It appears as if something in the beer changed density after being in the bottle and settled out.
Any ideas??

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: I can't fiqure out where this sediment came from
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:00 am »
I've bottled from the keg as well and had sediment in the bottles. I bottled what I thought was clear beer, but get just a small layer of sediment on the bottom. I'm assuming it's just extra yeast dropping out. But I haven't noticed it after only an hour or two.
Jesse

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: I can't fiqure out where this sediment came from
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:29 am »
I recall from the Yeast book that beer begins to look clear when the yeast count drops below something like 1 million cells per mL (or something like that). So even though the beer looks clear, there could be more than enough cells to coat the bottom of the bottle with enough time.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks