Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing an empty keg  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Storing an empty keg
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:28 am »
If I need to clean one keg, I clean all of my dirty kegs. I then store sanitized, with a bit of pressure, and a plastic bag over the top. I resanitize before filling.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:47 am »

To be completely honest, though, sometimes they are "stored" just as they are when the keg kicks.  I tend to get lazy and will clean them when I need them or clean them in batches.

Ha, now I don't feel so bad!  I don't normally clean mine until I need to refill.  Once they kick I just let them sit till I need to refill and then clean.

Same here. The Keg Washer is a bit too much set up in an apartment for only one keg. We tag team the cleaning when 7-8 kegs get stacked up.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
I clean in batches too.  I curretnly have 5 or 6 dirty kegs sitting by the deep sink.  Once I get around to cleaning them I will clean and rinse, run sanitizer through them and then pressurize them for storage.  The same as others have said and fro the same reasons.

The one difference is I don't resanitize before using them.  I probably should but never have.  I dump the little puddle of star san out before I fill them with beer but that's it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »
I store them usually under pressure with about a gallon of Starsan. I pour the starsan in, put it under pressure, shake it all up, and let it sit. When its time to rack, I run some through the out tube (to sanitize the dip tube and tap) I shake it up again, and pour back out the starsan.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:25 am »
I store them usually under pressure with about a gallon of Starsan. I pour the starsan in, put it under pressure, shake it all up, and let it sit. When its time to rack, I run some through the out tube (to sanitize the dip tube and tap) I shake it up again, and pour back out the starsan.

My process, too. It also gives me a convenient source of Starsan to run through a dirty beer line or picnic tap.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 09:11:02 am »
I typically rinse, PBW or Oxy soak, hot rinse, sanitize, purge/pressurize CO2 and store. As Denny stated, if the keg will hold pressure while in storage, it should maintain pressure during kegging/serving. I keep my kegs pressurized while in storage.

This is pretty much what I do.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 09:22:45 am »
After my kegs are clean and dry, I hit them with about 10 psi.  If they're not still pressurized when I go to use them, I know they're leaky and need attention before use.

I do close tot hat, but I store with about 1/2 gallon water.  But, I'm with ya on the pressure, and if it ain't still pressurized, you know they need some attention.

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 07:08:45 am »
Great discussion gize...Thanks!
Drink your own beer

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
I'm in the store with a small amount of sanitizer in them under pressure camp.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 01:40:34 pm »
I typically rinse, PBW or Oxy soak, hot rinse, sanitize, purge/pressurize CO2 and store. As Denny stated, if the keg will hold pressure while in storage, it should maintain pressure during kegging/serving. I keep my kegs pressurized while in storage.

This is exactly what I do.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 06:45:12 am »
If I don't need them I will wait and clean several kegs at a time with PBW.  After they are clean, I sanitize and pressurize and store them that way.  They always get a fresh dose of sanitizer before filling.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Roger Burns

• 1st Kit
  • Just call me Jack.... of all trades
    • Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 07:23:48 am »
FWIW, I clean in batches, too. I'll breakdown all kegs and clean with pbw, replace o-rings yearly, and fill one keg completely with StarSan. Then I push the StarSan through to the next cleaned keg, so there's no oxygen left in.  I store pressurized and upside down. I do not re-sanitize. I have 10 waiting for me right now...
Roger Burns
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
American Homebrewers Association: 155297
[3.9, 125.7] Apparent Rennerian

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:12 am »
I store kegs clean and dry with the lids on.  Keeping them filled with sanitizer seems like overkill to me.

Typically, I just rinse everything with hot water, but once every couple of cycles I'll give them an oxyclean soak.

Everything is sanitized before use with Iodophor.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:06 pm »
I store my ball locks clean/sanitized/dry upright with lid on.  After reading this I might start storing pressurized.  I very lightly lube o-rings with keg lube and then re-sanitize the kegs with Star San before using.

I've tried cleaning cornies with Mark's keg washer, but went back to breaking them down and giving everything a good soak with PLC or PBW, via the bucket method.  I am going to head down to my basement now and use the keg washer to clean and sanitize a bunch of carboys that were only rinsed out, from wine making.  It works great for that!

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 02:14:45 pm »
Like most of you I clean mine in batches and leave 5 or 6 ounces of Star San in them.  I haven't pressurized the empty kegs but that is a great idea!  I've got 4 or 5 already cleaned kegs. The next time I go down to the basement I think I will pressurize them.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.