Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Faster Carbonation Idea  (Read 5412 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Faster Carbonation Idea
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:49:06 pm »
I am currently trying to push the carbonation of a Scottish Ale, and was going over in my head the various methods of doing so. 

Then it occurred to me to simply hook the gas to the beverage out post.  Then as the gas is absorbed and pressure allows, a gas bubble would travel from the bottom of the beer to the top, exposing much more beer to the gas, hence carbonating rapidly.

Has anyone tried this?  It would be an interesting timed experiment.

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Faster Carbonation Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:29 pm »
I am currently trying to push the carbonation of a Scottish Ale, and was going over in my head the various methods of doing so. 

Then it occurred to me to simply hook the gas to the beverage out post.  Then as the gas is absorbed and pressure allows, a gas bubble would travel from the bottom of the beer to the top, exposing much more beer to the gas, hence carbonating rapidly.

I've heard of folks doing that, and I remember some saying it didn't do any good.  I've never tried.  Let us know how it works.  (I assume your still using a beer ball lock plumbed to your gas line, right?) 

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »
only thing i know is its all about solubility and relates to surface area, temp and pressure variants that drive c02 absorption.

i'm not sure that entering the bottom of keg makes any difference....smarter peeps than i out there so lets see what is said.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
I know that this is actually a method used by some to degas an over carbonated keg as it forces the excess co2 out of solution faster somehow, there's a dude with a YouTube video showing how it's done and having tried it once I can say it works. Can't find the link but you can search YouTube, I remember the guy being somewhat drunk during the video and belching a lot!

Thinking about an in-carbonated keg I would assume it might provide faster carbonation for the reasons you stated but I'm not that smart with these things:D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »

I've tried it a number of times.  It made no difference.  Yeah, it seems like it should, but it doesn't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:55:49 pm »

I've tried it a number of times.  It made no difference.  Yeah, it seems like it should, but it doesn't.

Ah.  Well, back to the drawing board.  In addition I think it would keep the beer stirred up rather than settling out when combined with cold crashing like I am.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »

I wonder if the sintered stones they sell for this make any difference.  Smaller bubbles and all that.

Probably not.  But that's how they market them.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:06:02 pm »
I don't think there are any great cheats. Unless it's filtered you still have to wait for it to settle clear.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »
What about laying the keg on it's side to expose more surface area to the CO2?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:21 pm »
So if force carbing is really what you are trying to achieve, I do this:

Set gas to serving pressure. Connect gas and when you hear it stop flowing in, disconnect, roll keg on floor for 5-10 minutes, reconnect and repeat process two to three times and then connect gas and put in kegerator.

There is no chance to over carb because you are only at serving pressure the whole time. Give the keg a day to settle in and it should be just about ready to serve

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:04:55 pm »
I like to chill the beer, then hit it with ~ 30psi for 2 days , vent slowly, then serve @ 12psi ( leave @ 12 psi. ) I do this when time is a factor, otherwise I use the old fashioned temp/pressure chart.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »
I found that the gas QD didn't like like fitting on the out post. But I was able to force it on there easily. Getting it off is another matter. Lube would help. Anyway I didn't experiment too long with this approach. However, I believe I have seen a bright-tank for sale with a co2 diffuser at the end of a long gas tube- much like an O2 stone.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »

I like to chill the beer, then hit it with ~ 30psi for 2 days , vent slowly, then serve @ 12psi ( leave @ 12 psi. ) I do this when time is a factor, otherwise I use the old fashioned temp/pressure chart.
i used to do this but every now and then I'd get over carbonated and then have to mess with it to get it back down and it was a PITA

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 06:28:20 pm »
I found that the gas QD didn't like like fitting on the out post. But I was able to force it on there easily. Getting it off is another matter. Lube would help. Anyway I didn't experiment too long with this approach. However, I believe I have seen a bright-tank for sale with a co2 diffuser at the end of a long gas tube- much like an O2 stone.

I was thinking about just plugging a beverage QD to the gas line.  I do that when I purge my kegs with CO2 prior to filling.

I think it will be close to carbed by Sunday anyway.  It will be 5+ days sitting at 33* and 18 psi.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »

i used to do this but every now and then I'd get over carbonated and then have to mess with it to get it back down and it was a PITA
Yeah it takes a little dialing in. I keep my kegerator at ~ 45F for most beers, and usually 28-30F at that temp for 48 hours has it where I want it. But styles come into play - I definitely wouldn't carb a British style beer that way. I"m not a fan of overcarbonated beers for sure. But when I have the time (which is usually) I like the temp/pressure chart.
Jon H.