Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?  (Read 44031 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:23 am »
So I was just recently looking at the latest issue of Zymurgy online and noticed that there was a small write up about NHC in Grand Rapids. It indicated a pre-registration over time but there is a chance of not being selected to attend.  Can anyone explain how this will work?  Also, when would one know if one is selected to attend through this lottery system?  I have never seen a conference utilize a lottery registration system.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:58:14 am by hd3 »
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:17:22 am »
The competition will be by lottery. Lottery attendance at the conference is news to me.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:39:40 am »
So I was just recently looking at the latest issue of Zymurgy online and noticed that there was a small write up about NHC in Grand Rapids. It indicated a pre-registration over time but there is a chance of not being selected to attend.  Can anyone explain how this will work?  Also, when would one know if one is selected to attend through this lottery system?  I have never seen a conference utilize a lottery registration system.

Cheers!

Perhaps you're confused with the conference and the competition.  Hope so.  A lottery for the conference would alienate a lot of homebrewers.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline jmalex

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 09:53:47 am »
Zymurgy most definitely mentioned that attendance will be done based on a lottery as well. This certainly has me worried.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:55:05 am »

Cheers!

Perhaps you're confused with the conference and the competition.  Hope so.  A lottery for the conference would alienate a lot of homebrewers.

I just checked Gary's article and it indeed says the conference will be lottery to attend and those who don't get in can be on the waiting list just like in the past.  There are also 20% more spots available.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:08:13 am »
Zymurgy most definitely mentioned that attendance will be done based on a lottery as well. This certainly has me worried.

You preregister first, which isn't as bad ad just doing a lottery of every member.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:13:21 am by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »
I haven't read the article, yet, but this will allow everyone who wants to go a chance to pre register. There are 4000 places contracted for the conference, don't know if they can get more in.

I think there will be good demand at GR, others think it is harder to get to, and not as many people in a short drive. This will give a count on the true demand, and be fair (remember all of those that said it was not fair that they had tok be at work and could not be on line?). People won't give up due to a crashed web site or the conference filling up too quickly. The wait list will be there. Also don't forget that just on this forum they were several tickets offered up by folks who had last minute conflicts - so if you have will there is a way.

My take on it is that the AHA and the GC listened to the members and made adjustments.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline srankert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 03:22:55 pm »
Limit for the competition is 6 entries.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 03:23:35 pm »
But I wonder how pre-registrations will really allow AHA to truly measure demand since I am assuming there is not a cash/payment commitment. One could simply pre-register and then flake...putting those on the wait list into a fury trying to get there.  I tend to understand the move but the amount of work for staff to manage registration with pre reg and wait lists...seems excessive and unnecessary. I worry the pre reg process will actually greatly decrease the amount of attendees who actually attend since I don't lose anything by pre-registering. Curious to see how this works out. I hope I win the lottery! Ha.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:44:47 pm »

Info leak?

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 03:54:11 pm »

Info leak?

It's written in the zymurgy article

Offline srankert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 04:05:17 pm »

Info leak?

It's written in the zymurgy article
Leaked by Gary Glass. I had to read his article online to see what was being discussed.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »
Haven't gotten my issue yet

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 05:03:36 pm »
Haven't gotten my issue yet

I haven't received my copy yet either, but you can view them online.  The android app gives a notification when a new issue is available

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:32 pm »
Tempted but I'm old fashioned. I like reading the hard copy. Something to look forward to.