Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?  (Read 44083 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:00 am »

KC - March 28/29
Philly - March 28/29
San Diego - 4/4
Seattle - 4/4
St. Paul - 4/11
Denver? - 4/11

I would guess that the remaining sites have not nailed down something with the AHA yet.

updating, 12 sites now appear on the BJCP competition list.

3/28:  Kansas City, Austin, NYC, Nashville
4/4:   Philly, San Diego, Seattle, Zanesville, Sacramento
4/11:  Denver, St Paul, Chicago

hopefully the dates stick but looks like all the sites are at least decided.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:45 am »

KC - March 28/29
Philly - March 28/29
San Diego - 4/4
Seattle - 4/4
St. Paul - 4/11
Denver? - 4/11

I would guess that the remaining sites have not nailed down something with the AHA yet.

Interesting that they have both NYC and Philly, since those comps would pull from the same judge pool.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:57 am »

KC - March 28/29
Philly - March 28/29
San Diego - 4/4
Seattle - 4/4
St. Paul - 4/11
Denver? - 4/11

Interesting that they have both NYC and Philly, since those comps would pull from the same judge pool.
Same with Zanesville and Chicago... I think that's why they are staggered... Though that's alot of judging to do 2 weekends in a row... but there are lots of people in those areas that want entries... Hopefully enough judges sign up.  I am planning on judging in either Zanesville or Chicago.. but probably not both as they are both a 3-4 hour drive for me.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:24 am »
Zanesville for me, have a conflict the Chicago weekend.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2014, 11:33:32 am »

KC - March 28/29
Philly - March 28/29
San Diego - 4/4
Seattle - 4/4
St. Paul - 4/11
Denver? - 4/11

How about Austin, one week after Bluebonnet - Could be interesting.  I recall Dallas in 2011 when very few of their judges showed up; burnt out after Bluebonnet I guess.  I'm sure this year will go better but it will likely limit their pool of willing judges a bit.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 02:10:19 pm »
question:  will the banquet have a separate lottery?

In other words, could you get through a conference lottery and, if the banquet room isn't big enough for demand, still miss out on the banquet?  I think there were about 2K at the banquet last year, out of 3.5K+ total?

thanks.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:33 pm »
question:  will the banquet have a separate lottery?

In other words, could you get through a conference lottery and, if the banquet room isn't big enough for demand, still miss out on the banquet?  I think there were about 2K at the banquet last year, out of 3.5K+ total?

thanks.
Details are not finalized so the sure answer first.  If everyone who registered requested a dinner I would not expect everyone to get a dinner seat.

I expect the dinner to be associated with your conference registration so the first xxxx to request a dinner will get one.  If you have a "guest" AHA member you both would go or not go together.

I am not expecting a separate lottery for the dinner.

Again if everyone puts down their true wishes we will have a great benchmark for future conferences.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tappr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2014, 08:00:47 am »
What is the impact of this lottery system going to be on club night?

For example, take my club - we're a small club in central WI with about 40 members.  We have about 8 of us interested in attending NHC this year and would like to do both the hospitality suite and club night.

We've determined that we need at least 4 people to participate in these activities.

So 8 of us put in for the lottery.  What if only 3 of us get tickets?  Sounds like I can't take another member because I would not be able to list that members as my guest when initially registering (since that person would already be putting their name in)

Honestly, I don't want to go if we can't ALL go.

So now we're considering just pulling out all together. 

I wish something for groups willing to participate would have been figured into all of this.  10 guaranteed tickets or something like that per club offering to bring beer for club night and/or hospitality suite.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2014, 08:14:58 am »

For example, take my club - we're a small club in central WI with about 40 members.  We have about 8 of us interested in attending NHC this year and would like to do both the hospitality suite and club night.

We've determined that we need at least 4 people to participate in these activities.

So 8 of us put in for the lottery.  What if only 3 of us get tickets?  Sounds like I can't take another member because I would not be able to list that members as my guest when initially registering (since that person would already be putting their name in)

I wish something for groups willing to participate would have been figured into all of this.  10 guaranteed tickets or something like that per club offering to bring beer for club night and/or hospitality suite.

I think that you should hold off on any decision like that. we don't know that the lottery for attendance at NHC will even be implemented yet. and if it's implemented what the actual overrun is. If the conference is going to sell out and leave folks in the cold anyway does it matter if it happens in a lottery vs. a mad dash to the website?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tappr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2014, 08:25:59 am »

I think that you should hold off on any decision like that. we don't know that the lottery for attendance at NHC will even be implemented yet. and if it's implemented what the actual overrun is. If the conference is going to sell out and leave folks in the cold anyway does it matter if it happens in a lottery vs. a mad dash to the website?

How do you propose we hold off on making such a decision?  I assume if we put in for the lottery that any of us that get chosen will be billed immediately.  I don't want tickets if the other guys can't go.  Granted, I can probably sell them easily but why bother with the headache?

Again, I wish the AHA had considered the impact to activities that require several in a club to pull off.  I'd like to see some kind of group/club volunteer option in the future guaranteeing tickets.  It's in the best interest of AHA to be sure they have clubs show up with beer.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:00 am »
I assume if we put in for the lottery that any of us that get chosen will be billed immediately.

I'm not sure that is a good assumption. Anyone want to chime in that knows more?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42:06 am »

How do you propose we hold off on making such a decision?  I assume if we put in for the lottery that any of us that get chosen will be billed immediately.  I don't want tickets if the other guys can't go.  Granted, I can probably sell them easily but why bother with the headache?

Again, I wish the AHA had considered the impact to activities that require several in a club to pull off.  I'd like to see some kind of group/club volunteer option in the future guaranteeing tickets.  It's in the best interest of AHA to be sure they have clubs show up with beer.

you are assuming a lot. if you are selected and your friends are not you can at very least resell your tickets. and that's even assuming that anyone doesn't get a ticket.

but my main point is that there was no guarantee last year that you would all get in. it's just that last year you did or didn't make it based on how quickly you managed to get signed up.

if it turns out that significantly less clubs are available for club night and that is a problem I'm sure the Governing Committee will take that into account in future years but to assume there is going to be a huge problem way ahead of anything actually happens just spreads stress and doesn't accomplish anything.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2014, 08:43:26 am »
I assume if we put in for the lottery that any of us that get chosen will be billed immediately.

I'm not sure that is a good assumption. Anyone want to chime in that knows more?

It looks like it will

Quote from: NHC Website
Payment is required at the time of registration. Payment is processed automatically once the registration period is finalized.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:40 am »

It looks like it will

Payment is required at the time of registration. Payment is processed automatically once the registration period is finalized.

I'm wondering though if you get selected and lets say your buddies don't, can you refuse the invitation or does your payment info get taken before you're accepted?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2014, 08:47:55 am »

It looks like it will

I'm wondering though if you get selected and lets say your buddies don't, can you refuse the invitation or does your payment info get taken before you're accepted?

I would hope so but it does not say it on the first page there on the NHC website. I didn't dig deeper. it makes sense that they are doing this way though. I think someone actually posted a suggestion about this. Without a financial commitment, even if just temporary, people might flood the open registration period. I don't know if that would actually happen but I can see the concern.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce