Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?  (Read 44039 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 04:46:52 am »
I will have to forego the Homebrewers Conference in Michigan in order to attend the ADI Conference in Seattle March 27 - April 7.   No lottery necessary to participate in Seattle

Venue for NHC 2014?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:50:06 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:12:44 am »
I read Gary's letter, and I understand his point:  it's difficult for many people to be available to register at an exact moment and then have the ensuing rush cause a computer crash.  (It's only through the grace of God that I got in for Philly.)  I would like to toss out a request if the AHA is going to the lottery system for the conference.  Could you please post the location of the next year's conference (2015) before pre-registration?  That might allow some people who are on the fence to be able to say "Next year's conference is  in my back yard.  I'll go in 2015" or  "I'll never be able to go to (fill in blank).  I have to try for GR in 2014."
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline a witty man

• Cellarman
  • Fed by Fermentation
    • Zephyr Fermented Beverages
NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »
I think lottery systems for the competition and NHC tix are reasonable solutions to a difficult situation.

A few more details  (and questions) from the zymurgy article:
- Judges and stewards in the 2013 NHC competition have a guaranteed "opportunity to submit entries" in 2014. (Does this mean an opportunity to submit  6 entries?)

- AHA Members get "pre-registration option" for the conference - I'm guessing this would be pre-registration for a lottery? Is there a separate lottery for AHA members?

- Do judges and stewards in the competition get priority registration for the conference?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:44:27 pm by a witty man »
~Aaron
Founding Member of the Albany Brew Crafters
BJCP Certified #e1105
www.zephyrfermentedbeverages.blogspot.com

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:19 pm »
I think lottery systems for the competition and NHC tix are reasonable solutions to a difficult situation.

A few more details  (and questions) from the zymurgy article:
- Judges and stewards in the 2013 NHC competition have a guaranteed "opportunity to submit entries" in 2014. (Does this mean an opportunity to submit  6 entries?)

From the rumors I heard the volunteers get 2 guaranteed entries and the rest is lottery.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
I haven't read the article, yet, but this will allow everyone who wants to go a chance to pre register. There are 4000 places contracted for the conference, don't know if they can get more in.

I think there will be good demand at GR, others think it is harder to get to, and not as many people in a short drive. This will give a count on the true demand, and be fair (remember all of those that said it was not fair that they had tok be at work and could not be on line?). People won't give up due to a crashed web site or the conference filling up too quickly. The wait list will be there. Also don't forget that just on this forum they were several tickets offered up by folks who had last minute conflicts - so if you have will there is a way.

My take on it is that the AHA and the GC listened to the members and made adjustments.

+1

Also seems like they listened to the requests for guaranteed entries for volunteers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:32 am »
But I wonder how pre-registrations will really allow AHA to truly measure demand since I am assuming there is not a cash/payment commitment.

A lottery is a double-edged sword: you can't expect a payment commitment with the potential of not getting in, but if there's no financial commitment, the lottery will fill up with people who aren't necessarily committed to attending...

I guess as long as the method of keeping up with cancellations and waiting list is solid, its an improvement from the mad dash and subsequent server crash.

I'm not too worried about getting a spot with 4000 available, but at the rate its growing, 20% wouldn't be surprising...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
I'm not too worried about getting a spot with 4000 available, but at the rate its growing, 20% wouldn't be surprising...

My concern is they will keep growing it to a point where it just won't be worth it anymore.  Pro and Club night are already a mad house and waiting for 1-2 hours outside the banquet hall to make a mad rush to get a table is crazy.  It's worse than a Black Friday sale at Walmart.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 01:48:32 pm »

My concern is they will keep growing it to a point where it just won't be worth it anymore.  Pro and Club night are already a mad house and waiting for 1-2 hours outside the banquet hall to make a mad rush to get a table is crazy.  It's worse than a Black Friday sale at Walmart.

The event space(s) should be appropriately sized to handle the larger attendance.

If more folks want to attend and learn about/grow within the hobby, they should have that opportunity. This hobby (and craft beer, in general) is an inclusive (not exclusive) thing.

The goal is to properly anticipate and plan for the increased interest.

I thought Pro Night was rather spacious compared to some of the beer festivals I've been to recently...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »

A lottery is a double-edged sword: you can't expect a payment commitment with the potential of not getting in, but if there's no financial commitment, the lottery will fill up with people who aren't necessarily committed to attending...
They could actually. I enter race lotteries where you register and give your credit card information. If you are selected, you are charged immediately and notified that you are registered. There is no requirement to log back in and pay. 

Then again, I'd be pretty hesitant to enter a lottery like this thinking that I might get in and not my wife (or the other way). We're really only interested in attending together.  Actually, I'm wondering how this will work out for the two of us - since it will really require two of us to make it through. It would be nice if there was a group option - register a group and either everybody gets in or nobody.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

They could actually. I enter race lotteries where you register and give your credit card information. If you are selected, you are charged immediately and notified that you are registered. There is no requirement to log back in and pay. 

Then again, I'd be pretty hesitant to enter a lottery like this thinking that I might get in and not my wife (or the other way). We're really only interested in attending together.  Actually, I'm wondering how this will work out for the two of us - since it will really require two of us to make it through. It would be nice if there was a group option - register a group and either everybody gets in or nobody.

In the past you could buy a ticket for you and a guest, I imagine this would still be the case

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »
I'd love to go sometime but it would take a series of miracles. Time open when it's my turn to vacation bid, then when it's my wife's turn to bid, then win lottery, then wife wins lottery, etc.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »
I'd love to go sometime but it would take a series of miracles. Time open when it's my turn to vacation bid, then when it's my wife's turn to bid, then win lottery, then wife wins lottery, etc.

It's a Zen thing, "BE the lottery, Grasshopper..."   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 05:29:33 am »
Maybe it will be in Yakima in 2015? That would make it easier. Of course Toppenish would be even better.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 08:35:10 am »

In the past you could buy a ticket for you and a guest, I imagine this would still be the case
That's right. Hopefully that's the case.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
 Obviously a complex issue addressing the demand, but I really dislike the lottery for attendance. I attend with my wife who is also an AHA member. So it is possible for one of us to get in and one of us not. Also a large event like this over multiple days requires advanced planning and for some people reserving vacation days well in advance. It is hard to plan and budget for a multi-day event that you need to win a lottery to attend.
Beer is like liquid sunshine, and we need all the sunshine we can get in Seattle.

Do not one day come to die, and discover that you have not lived.