Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?  (Read 43886 times)

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
Re: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2014, 10:07:15 pm »

That makes sense that they'd keep you from gaming the system.

It actually doesn't make sense. How is a member going to bring a spouse or friend that is interested in homebrewing? And how is AHA going to handle the fact that when a member gets through the lottery and their partner doesn't, that means that a whole flock of members are not going to follow through and register. This truly is the dumbest thing I've heard.

How is the system gamed by having the opportunity to obtain two spots?

Absolutely.  If my wife has to register and pay to be a member, then she should be allowed to have the same opportunity as I do or any one else. The fact that the cost of membership is discounted is moot.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:19 pm »

That makes sense that they'd keep you from gaming the system.

It actually doesn't make sense. How is a member going to bring a spouse or friend that is interested in homebrewing? And how is AHA going to handle the fact that when a member gets through the lottery and their partner doesn't, that means that a whole flock of members are not going to follow through and register. This truly is the dumbest thing I've heard.

How is the system gamed by having the opportunity to obtain two spots?

Absolutely.  If my wife has to register and pay to be a member, then she should be allowed to have the same opportunity as I do or any one else. The fact that the cost of membership is discounted is moot.
She has exactly the same chance of getting in as you or anyone else. Except she doesn't have to worry about getting in and you don't. It's the same probability - the only difference is that either both of you get in or neither do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:15:22 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:50 am »
Fred, if I renew my membership and add my wife as a household membership, does she get an AHA number different than mine and the ability to go to the NHC with me?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:41 am »
Fred, if I renew my membership and add my wife as a household membership, does she get an AHA number different than mine and the ability to go to the NHC with me?
Mike, we have the family membership, and Susan's number is different than mine. I think the answer is yes.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:02 am »
there are 2 real differences between a household/family membership and a "full" membership

1: Family membership is cheaper for the additional members
2: You will have to share your copy of Zymurgy.  Only 1 copy goes to a family membership.

I'll add on that Renewals add x years to your current membership, they are not x years from when you renew. They are an extension to your current membership.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:11:55 am by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:11 am »
A few words
The 2014 NHC will be held in the DeVos center in Grand Rapids.  We have the entire center as I currently understand it so we have a lot of space. 

The Lottery.  A lot of thought went into this for the competition and the conference.  I believe you will see all Brewers Association events moving this way.  Why?  First and foremost, most ticket agencies can handle 10,000 requests in an hour, in the first 30 seconds --- No.  There will be no advantage to entering your request in the first hour.  Take your time, but also don't enter your request in the last half hour.  IMHO it is unfair to favor members that can be entering data into 10+ computers and hitting them as often and as quick as you can.    My hope is that we will not have to actually enter the "lottery" phase of buying tickets for the NHC.  Good luck to all.  You can blame me as a member of the Governing committee for this.  After a lot of discussion and input from AHA members this is the direction we decided to take to be fair to all.  As usual we will evaluate how well this worked and evaluate changes (if needed) for future events.

New this year is that all guests MUST be AHA members.  This can be a household membership which is (I believe) currently $22.  My wife wants to come so I have purchased this membership for her.

Last year, despite all the early problems, everyone that had expressed an interest in attending was given the opportunity.  The AHA refused no one to the current largest conference to date, Philly.  Offering more admissions, it is our hope that everyone that applies can attend. 

Pro-Brewers.  The welcome reception you all know about.  We are trying to spread the Pro's out throughout the conference and details are not finalized.

Thursday night on-the-town.  We have our Local Committee Staff working on that to ensure you can enjoy Beer City's hospitality.

Pre-Events:  We have some awesome tours in the process of being scheduled.  Bell's, Founders, plus many others.  Oh, and does anyone out there like sour beers? . . . . . . . .

Sour beers? This place is a two hour drive according to Google. Nice pictures.
http://photos.mlive.com/8002564/gallery/photo_gallery_-_brewing_at_jol/index.html#/0
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2014, 10:05:02 am »
there are 2 real differences between a household/family membership and a "full" membership

1: Family membership is cheaper for the additional members
2: You will have to share your copy of Zymurgy.  Only 1 copy goes to a family membership.

I'll add on that Renewals add x years to your current membership, they are not x years from when you renew. They are an extension to your current membership.

Thanks, I'll get her a family membership this week and renew mine.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
A few words
The 2014 NHC will be held in the DeVos center in Grand Rapids.  We have the entire center as I currently understand it so we have a lot of space. 

The Lottery.  A lot of thought went into this for the competition and the conference.  I believe you will see all Brewers Association events moving this way.  Why?  First and foremost, most ticket agencies can handle 10,000 requests in an hour, in the first 30 seconds --- No.  There will be no advantage to entering your request in the first hour.  Take your time, but also don't enter your request in the last half hour.  IMHO it is unfair to favor members that can be entering data into 10+ computers and hitting them as often and as quick as you can.    My hope is that we will not have to actually enter the "lottery" phase of buying tickets for the NHC.  Good luck to all.  You can blame me as a member of the Governing committee for this.  After a lot of discussion and input from AHA members this is the direction we decided to take to be fair to all.  As usual we will evaluate how well this worked and evaluate changes (if needed) for future events.

New this year is that all guests MUST be AHA members.  This can be a household membership which is (I believe) currently $22.  My wife wants to come so I have purchased this membership for her.

Last year, despite all the early problems, everyone that had expressed an interest in attending was given the opportunity.  The AHA refused no one to the current largest conference to date, Philly.  Offering more admissions, it is our hope that everyone that applies can attend. 

Pro-Brewers.  The welcome reception you all know about.  We are trying to spread the Pro's out throughout the conference and details are not finalized.

Thursday night on-the-town.  We have our Local Committee Staff working on that to ensure you can enjoy Beer City's hospitality.

Pre-Events:  We have some awesome tours in the process of being scheduled.  Bell's, Founders, plus many others.  Oh, and does anyone out there like sour beers? . . . . . . . .

http://photos.mlive.com/8002564/gallery/photo_gallery_-_brewing_at_jol/index.html#/0

Did I say only stop. . . . . . . .

Seriously, we are working on some awesome pre-event tours,  Come early and enjoy them. 

Grand Rapids,  Beer City USA 2 years in a row.
You will enjoy this one.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:13 am »
6 sites are up on the BJCP competition schedule.

KC - March 28/29
Philly - March 28/29
San Diego - 4/4
Seattle - 4/4
St. Paul - 4/11
Denver? - 4/11

I would guess that the remaining sites have not nailed down something with the AHA yet.

bummer, sounds like Tulsa is not a region this year.  I would have sent my stuff there again.  KC it is I guess!
also, just to update Amanda's post, Philly is now listed as the weekend of 4/4 on the BJCP site.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:15 am »

bummer, sounds like Tulsa is not a region this year.  I would have sent my stuff there again.  KC it is I guess!

Oh, c'mon! You know that we're a good host city!  ;D :P
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:55 pm »
A few words

Did I say only stop. . . . . . . .

Seriously, we are working on some awesome pre-event tours,  Come early and enjoy them. 

Grand Rapids,  Beer City USA 2 years in a row.
You will enjoy this one.

Perhaps a pub crawl could be arranged for Thursday evening after the Toast/Reception.  I know the idea was floated for Philly last year.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »

Perhaps a pub crawl could be arranged for Thursday evening after the Toast/Reception.  I know the idea was floated for Philly last year.

A pub crawl with hundreds of your closest friends

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:44 pm »

look out grand rapids
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2014, 03:32:00 am »

My closest, bestest, newest friends...
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:06 am »

My closest, bestest, newest friends...

There will be plenty to crawl to as well. The organizing committee is making sure the local breweries are going to be very involved in this one. I'm just worried about my Two Hearted. I can see thousands of cases leaving the state that weekend.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan