Author Topic: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?  (Read 14596 times)

Online mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
Re: NHC 2014 - Lottery System for Registration?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
I attend with my wife who is also an AHA member.

You have it made with twice the probability of the typical member. Do remember that every attendee has the opportunity to include a guest, so you both can enter the lottery and if either gets selected...you both go.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Online udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
I would like to toss out a request if the AHA is going to the lottery system for the conference.  Could you please post the location of the next year's conference (2015) before pre-registration?  That might allow some people who are on the fence to be able to say "Next year's conference is  in my back yard.  I'll go in 2015" or  "I'll never be able to go to (fill in blank).  I have to try for GR in 2014."

AHA, how's 2015 NHC planning coming along? 
I think guido's request is a good one...

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »
Looks like the http://www.ahaconference.org/ website has been updated for Grand Rapids.  No hard dates except the lottery entry dates will be a week in February and notification and hotel registration in March.   It looks like the conference packages are just full conference and a banquet add on ($285 total).

Hope I find a golden ticket!
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline guido

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 03:17:16 AM »
Looks like the http://www.ahaconference.org/ website has been updated for Grand Rapids.  No hard dates except the lottery entry dates will be a week in February and notification and hotel registration in March.   It looks like the conference packages are just full conference and a banquet add on ($285 total).

I saw the update.  Did anyone notice that there's no Pro Brewers' Night?  I'm sure there won't be a shortage of beer at the conference, but I'm going to miss it.  Good luck to all getting a ticket.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Online AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 05:46:25 AM »

I saw the update.  Did anyone notice that there's no Pro Brewers' Night?  I'm sure there won't be a shortage of beer at the conference, but I'm going to miss it.  Good luck to all getting a ticket.

"New in 2014, conference attendees will enjoy a welcome reception on Thursday evening."

So... the conference is a day shorter now?  ???
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Redbird Brewhouse - Finishing Touches on the Basement Bar

Online Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »

The overview includes the competition all day Thursday and the expo and seminars in the afternoon, same as last year. It's common for conferences to actually start before the welcome reception.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »

The overview includes the competition all day Thursday and the expo and seminars in the afternoon, same as last year. It's common for conferences to actually start before the welcome reception.

The change I see is just Pro Brewers night being changed to a reception featuring local craft beers and appetizers. Ends at 7:30. You can read it in the link.
http://www.ahaconference.org/events/welcome-reception-toast/
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
Huh...no Pro-Brewers night. And it doesn't look like the Social Club is open on Thursday night.  Seems like a big chunk of the conference has been eliminated and the cost went up.  I have no idea what it takes to run pro night, so I really don't know why the change.  I usually need Thursday as a down day anyways being it's the next day after the BN Anniversary party and the day before Club Night.  I wonder if the local committee will plan any events that night since it's wide open after 7:30pm.

On the Conference overview page, it shows the Social Club only going to midnight.  Was this the case in the past (thought the went well beyond that)?

Last thought...are there any silly MI laws that say you cannot serve alcohol before 11am like in Philly?  I attended a couple morning seminars and it would have been nice to taste what they were talking about.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:30:45 AM by theDarkSide »
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Online udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:09 AM »

The change I see is just Pro Brewers night being changed to a reception featuring local craft beers and appetizers. Ends at 7:30. You can read it in the link.
http://www.ahaconference.org/events/welcome-reception-toast/

I wonder how long it is?
might not be a great deal of time between the end of the Final Round judging and this event.  I've always enjoyed resting a bit after the Finals.  Or perhaps they plan to have so many judges we can finish before lunch (finished 23 of 28 before lunch in 2013).

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »

I wonder how long it is?
might not be a great deal of time between the end of the Final Round judging and this event.  I've always enjoyed resting a bit after the Finals.  Or perhaps they plan to have so many judges we can finish before lunch (finished 23 of 28 before lunch in 2013).

2 hours - 5:30pm - 7:30 pm

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/conference-overview/  and click on Thursday to expand.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Online udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »

I wonder how long it is?

2 hours - 5:30pm - 7:30 pm

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/conference-overview/  and click on Thursday to expand.

thanks.  archaic work browser wouldn't open it.

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 07:46:40 AM »
Huh...no Pro-Brewers night. And it doesn't look like the Social Club is open on Thursday night.  Seems like a big chunk of the conference has been eliminated and the cost went up.  I have no idea what it takes to run pro night, so I really don't know why the change.  I usually need Thursday as a down day anyways being it's the next day after the BN Anniversary party and the day before Club Night.  I wonder if the local committee will plan any events that night since it's wide open after 7:30pm.

On the Conference overview page, it shows the Social Club only going to midnight.  Was this the case in the past (thought the went well beyond that)?

Last thought...are there any silly MI laws that say you cannot serve alcohol before 11am like in Philly?  I attended a couple morning seminars and it would have been nice to taste what they were talking about.
MI Beer selling/serving laws are: Mon-Sat 7am-2am.  Sunday is noon-2am... but places can purchase a cheap license to extend that to 7am as well.... Not that there is anything planned for Sunday... But it could come into play if you are from out of state and want to buy beers before going back home on Sunday.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline macbrews

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »

You have it made with twice the probability of the typical member. Do remember that every attendee has the opportunity to include a guest, so you both can enter the lottery and if either gets selected...you both go.

I looked at the registration details and found this:  Each member who enters the lottery can register up to one additional guest. All attendees must be a member of the AHA, including guests.

Does that mean if I take my wife, she has to be an AHA member?  She wasn't last year.  If so, when would she have to join?   Before the lottery?  After an opportunity to register might be extended to me?  That's a new wrench thrown in.

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »

I looked at the registration details and found this:  Each member who enters the lottery can register up to one additional guest. All attendees must be a member of the AHA, including guests.

Does that mean if I take my wife, she has to be an AHA member?  She wasn't last year.  If so, when would she have to join?   Before the lottery?  After an opportunity to register might be extended to me?  That's a new wrench thrown in.
I believe the assumption is if your guest, wife in this case, is planning on attending the conference they should be members of the AHA and must be interested in homebrewing.  I think they are probably trying to get rid of the guests that have no interest in homebrewing and are just there to drink beer the whole time.  These guests take up a slot for those that might get a bit more out of it...  I Think the upgrade for the household membership is something like $19...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »

yeah, that's a head-scratcher.  My wife wants to go as my guest but she barely ever drinks, and just a few ounces.  She hates beer.  I'm sure as hell not buying her an AHA membership.